aftermarket locking hubs?

All tech relating to the Suzuki Vitara that won't relate to any other models, Front IFS etc.
Rhinoman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Re: aftermarket locking hubs?

Post by Rhinoman » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:17 am

twiss wrote:Personally I would just stick with the Aisins... we know they are good :)
Anyone know if you can get rebuild kits for them anywhere?
My parts bloke might have them... could be handy
Except that the majority of them seem to have rusted up internals these days, you can clean them up and re-grease them but the pitting weakens them. I'm not aware of any rebuild kits, if you can get them then there is a lot of demand.
Pabokay came back to me with a quote of $100/piece for 50 units plus shipping, which will work out a lot more expensive than the eBay price with VAT and handling.
2006 Jimny JLX+ 1.3 VVT
2000 Vitara 4u2 - Calmini 3+3, 33" MTs, 5:83 R&Ps, winch bumper, remapped ECU.
1986 Suzuki SJ413K - G16 conversion
1984 Suzuki SJ410 - Blitz

dan_2k_uk
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by dan_2k_uk » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:32 pm

Mine could do with a rebuild if you find a kit Twiss
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

robbie1985
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by robbie1985 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:02 pm

thank you for the replies fellas. i've been trying to find a set of aisins but cant find them anywhere! where is a good place to look outside of fleabay and which model type fits suzukis?
also i have noticed that the half shafts going into the back of the hubs have a lot of play, especially the passenger side and i'm sure that its the cause of the vibration.

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:02 am

Mike said on the last page he has some for sale... When my pinion nut finally arrives I will look into the hub rebuild kits.
They put them on the Gypsies right up until 2000 and onwards so I don't think it will be a problem.
I think my parts guy even said he can get the cone washers
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

robbie1985
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by robbie1985 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:16 pm

That's a good point and well made twiss.

marksticky
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by marksticky » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:18 pm

Are the tops of those plastic? if so do they have some sort of metal sleeve? The Aisin hubs have cone shaped washers on the mounting bolts and without them they are prone to coming loose, those don't look like they have the taper.
Nope, all metal inside and out! And yeah, they have the taper too! I managed to get the cone washers off a guy on Facebook as they're over £50 for a set of 12 from a dealer!!

I haven't actually seen an Aisin hub in person but the copies are pretty similar going by pictures.

I hammered them at Whaddon not too long ago and had no problems, but I'll let you know if they ever do fail...
1999 SWB Samurai 1.9TD

robbie1985
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by robbie1985 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:52 pm

Whilst we are on the subject of the hubs, I've been having snags with the half shafts as they go into the back of the hubs. The passenger side one has lots of play in it at the back of the hub and is leaking grease. the drivers side is the same but doesn't have as much play in it. I'm pretty sure this is what caused the vibration i've been chasing and what has wrote off my hubs lockers, although they are the cheap plastic internals. the vibration has stopped since i took the locking hubs off. What could have worn to cause this? i need to change a CV gator on both sides so wanna sort this out at the smae but dont know what parts i am gonna need.

cheers in advance for the help :)