rebuild, restore, maybe improve...

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Re: rebuild, restore, maybe improve...

Post by twiss » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:42 pm

A tape player!!! Haha very nice. Tapes aren't actually too bad in off roaders!
They may sound crap but then don't skip like CDs!
Of course USB memory sticks are the way forward ;)
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

Tramp
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Tramp » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:50 pm

I'm a firm believer in memory sticks my SJ made me move to SD cards as CDs skipped all the time, even on the road! I ripp my mp3's from YouTube and drop them onto SD cards ( I also rip mp3s from CDs) in my SJ and my volvo I have these cheapy cheap radios

Not a fantastic radio, but it does the job. also because it's not a CD player it isn't overly deep (to accommodate the size of a CD) which is a bonus in my SJ dash as the CD player was tight and kinked the cables as they came out of the plug. With the SD cards you can fit 200+ songs on a 1GB card. In my clio I was considering fitting one of these but my factory radio has steering wheel controls and these radios aren't compatible, so instead I have an FM transmitter that plugs in my cigarette lighter, my SD card plugs into that and I can play my music through my radio

djc
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by djc » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:20 pm

Have to stay on topic or i'll be in bother. But on subject of tape players, found this (tweeted off the poke I think) - some kid stuffed his phone in the tape slot and was perplexed that it didn't play:
android-.jpg
android-.jpg (28.27 KiB) Viewed 7833 times
Straight n shiny '85 410 soft top.

Douglas

djc
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by djc » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:16 pm

Update time. Got the modified manifold from Richard (Rockwatt) - very nicely done indeed (will do pics later). Also have a rebuilt Tbox from Richard as my current is noisy and assumed knackered. When I changed the oil I got less than a cup of thick black sludge, and it groans under load. New one looks really good and feels super-smooth. I think Richard's attention to detail is really impressive - again pics soon.
Got fed up with the messy front - it was straight, just tatty. Got hold of a bullbar the style I want from a fellow forum-mate.
sjf1.jpg
sjf1.jpg (71.16 KiB) Viewed 7808 times
sjf2.jpg
sjf2.jpg (61.51 KiB) Viewed 7808 times
Still very pleased with structural and general condition, every time I get under or inside anything - rock solid, original paint, waxoyl here and there.
The bullbar was white and pretty rough - I stripped it, filled as necessary and did it satin black. Bumper has some pitting at ends and a small hole too. Wire cleaned it, primed behind and painted outside with load-liner paint. I mentioned that before, I saw muddymesser use it - it's brilliant I think for bumpers. I've left the endcaps off, I don't like them.
sjf3.jpg
sjf3.jpg (130.67 KiB) Viewed 7808 times
sjf4.jpg
sjf4.jpg (95.24 KiB) Viewed 7808 times
Notice the d'side moulding is off, there was a small rust hole above it which seems to have started from outside - sills are excellent. The black is Kurust.
At the moment I am re-thinking how this should look. Personally I think Samis have too much plastic round the bottom (the original 413 is far nicer). I'd quite like chequerplate ali oversills - i really don't like the plastic originals at all. Anyway I need to finish that sill and check the other side, plus get under the arch covers.
I started out wanting this to look dead original, now I might deviate. Next time I get a chance I will pick up a good door in any colour that's not mine - I fancy an odd door for a while.
I plan to repaint the original wheels in cream, then invest in some AT tyres but road / off compromise. I might do these Wellers orange then... who knows.
SU conversion days away, need more little bits to make sure the switch goes smoothly. Got to see Chan's SU conversion a few days ago, very tidy indeed and it helped me a lot to see one for real and ask lots of questions. Cheers Chan.

more later

Douglas

muddymesser
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by muddymesser » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:48 pm

i remember when mine looked almost that good . . . then I happened haha

donkeychomp
I spend far too much time on here

Post by donkeychomp » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:17 pm

Orange wheels...I've created a monster...
If it ticks over...leave it

djc
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by djc » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:07 pm

Keeping me thread live. So the SU conversion is done and generally excellent, getting rid of a lot of nasty running issues with the old Aisin. Need to fit the refurbed Tbox as the old one leaks fluid and sounds grim. Like most others here I think the to-do list grows faster than the done list.
As a reminder this is a hard-working SJ used mainly on road but with occasional rough tracks etc - it works for it's living but not much in the mud.
I have around £750 to throw at it quite soon. I am thinking a set of springs (the Maruti/Suzuki std ones from Jimny Bits around £200). Shocks, but which ones? New bushes but it has almost new poly bushes on already, they may be re-usable, or should I try rubber bushes?
I fancy a steering damper - had all wheels balanced but get a wobble at around 45 - 50, you can drive through it and by about 80 it's fine again.
And maybe squeeze 4 tyres out of the budget too - looking at Yokohamas 215/75/15 - the spare is a new Contitrak so 4 will be fine.
Any thoughts or advice very welcome.

Douglas

andyrew
SCUK is my life
SCUK is my life

Post by andyrew » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:32 pm

You can get standard replacement dampers from eBay
It's a seller from India doing Monroe ones for £28
'Rocksta9' is the seller. I've used a couple of times
Now with no issues.

I've used kyb gas shocks 'click4carparts' is the cheapest
Again on ebay.

13 quid rear 16 quid fronts (each)

The wobble Could be some worn bearings in the front.
Maybe worth checking the kingpins and wheel bearings.

The same seller from India does a complete front axle rebuild
Kit for around £70.
Andys Rusty Suzuki Emporium

d_r_1989
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by d_r_1989 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:16 pm

Really really like this. I too am pretty jealous! But mine sees 95% mud and 5% road so something like this would be ruined in my hands.

Good to see it kept relatively standard and in such good condition. Keep it up

donkeychomp

Post by donkeychomp » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:49 pm

What Andy said. KYB's every day of the week.
If it ticks over...leave it