Changed aerial, now nothing works! Help!

Got an electrical gremlin? Ask the question here.
Eltoon
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Changed aerial, now nothing works! Help!

Post by Eltoon » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:11 pm

Hiya
88 Santana/Samurai SJ413: Right, simple job...changed the aerial today and as I pulled the radio out I thought I saw a little spark. Assumed I'd maybe blown the radio fuse so didn't worry. Finished the job, sure enough, no radio. Normally the radio worked whether or not the ignition was on. Tried with the ignition on - nothing...and no ignition, no lights, no starting, nothing, everything dead...except the dash clock still works and the fuel gauge. The wiring behind the radio is classic 80's bodge job, lots of tape etc.

Can't see any fuses blown and at the top of the fuse box, under the steering column is one black relay and after a few attempts/key turns it suddenly started clicking madly inside. This, even with the keys removed. If I put the key in and turn to try and start, the clicking stops. So, what the feck have I done?

dan_2k_uk
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Re: Changed aerial, now nothing works! Help!

Post by dan_2k_uk » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:32 pm

I've no idea what the relay is as I have a different loom and fusebox bit there is a fusable link at the battery although I would have thought if you had of blown that nothing at all would work. Maybe the fuel gauge circuit has been modified in the past.
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

Eltoon
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Eltoon » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:04 pm

Ok now the embarrassing bit, went out at dusk to have another look and it appears my battery is flat! Not had the car long and not used it for a couple of weeks so looks like seller didn't mention that the battery was shagged. Bought a new battery this evening and the car lit up and started up. Not put the relay back yet mind but I think more that's it's for the indicators. Hopefully panic over!

Darrell
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Darrell » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:35 pm

Your correct, Indicator relay :thumbup:
2005-GV 1600se, "Hell" What do I know!

Eltoon
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Eltoon » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:38 pm

Cheers. Not sure why it started going crazy!