ADD-A-LEAF

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
Eltoon
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

ADD-A-LEAF

Post by Eltoon » Wed May 11, 2016 4:36 pm

My leaf springs are pretty tired and the ride is harsh so thinking about replacement at some point. Is it worth buying these add-a-leaf springs from Llama as a cheaper option? Has anyone tried them and does adding them count as a modification? Anyone know? Cheers

http://www.llama4x4.com/page6.htm

Phillips321
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Re: ADD-A-LEAF

Post by Phillips321 » Wed May 11, 2016 4:44 pm

I've literally just added them on my SJ410. My front springs were flat!

I'm not a mechanic (as you can probably tell by my posts on here!) but i managed to do it.

At the same time I also replaced my shocks (used Astra Mk2 Rears on the front and LandRover Series 3 SWB Rears on my rear. Lift is really good and i'm really pleased. You won't be disappointed!

Eltoon
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Eltoon » Wed May 11, 2016 5:29 pm

Cheers, that's good to know - mine are looking a little flat too! Did you re-use the same U bolts? I'm assuming I won't need to change the shocks, or that original shocks will still fit?

Phillips321
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Phillips321 » Thu May 12, 2016 8:53 am

Well some say you can get away with the original shocks but really they are too short. That's why i upgraded mine. It was cheap, rear shocks were £20 for the pair and fronts were £45 the pair.

I managed to use the same U-bolts, however with one of them it was pretty bent and twisted which made me which i had ordered replacements. If i was doing it again what i would do is order the u-bolts, and then send them back if i don't use them.

Phillips321
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Phillips321 » Thu May 12, 2016 8:55 am

Also get some g-clamps to hold the spring pack together. You only need one, but 3 made it much easier!

Eltoon
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Eltoon » Thu May 12, 2016 11:38 am

Thanks for the replies! I also just noticed your thread this morning talking about the exact same thing... :oops: 8-)

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Thu May 12, 2016 12:38 pm

Personally I would avoid add-a-leafs and find some new springs instead, it might be more expensive but the results will be much better.

Problem with add-a-leafs is that they aren't really designed to revive old springs, they are supposed to be used increase the spring rate and load capacity for pick ups etc. they are too short and stiff and the old springs end up bending around the ends of the add-a-leaf.

SJ front springs are supposed to be pretty much flat, it's only if they are inverted that you really need to worry.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!