Adding additional battery to my sj413

Got an electrical gremlin? Ask the question here.
Tony
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Adding additional battery to my sj413

Post by Tony » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:54 pm

Dear Group
Can anyone help me please. I would like to add an additional 12V battery to power the extra lights and accessories which I have on my sj413, while the engine is not running, so that the main battery won't be at risk of going flat. There is plenty of room for it in the space on the exhaust manifold side of the engine and I am sure it could be secured alright. How would I wire it up and connect it. I am pretty useless technically so when answering please assume that I am a complete moron.
All help and suggestions gratefully received.
Many thanks
Tony

d86
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: Adding additional battery to my sj413

Post by d86 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:12 pm

HI TONY AND WELCOME.

TRY THIS LINK IF IT WORKS.

http://www.marcleleisure.co.uk/Sund001/ ... arge01.htm

IT'S WRITEN PRITTY STRAIGHT FORWARD.

TONY :mrgreen:

liljitjit
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by liljitjit » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:05 pm

it should n
be on the diy section on here or it use to be.
[/color]before you laugh at mine , take a look at your own![/color]

RickUK
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow
Location: Not sure me Tom Tom is bust,but it could be North of Watford Gap.Could be Bedfordshire though.

Post by RickUK » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:14 pm

Would i need this option if i use a small winch on the SJ its one of these winches that goes over the towball and i have adapted one of those connectors that you charge up batteries on forklift trucks which i have tested to see if it all works but have never used it to its full pulling power si am not sure if adding the extra battery would help.I fully understand i would have to leave the engine running most of the time while recovering the SJ but would one big battery or 2 smaller one be the better option.

I have to make a decision soon as i have just found out my battery that is on the motoer is on its last legs,so any suggestions would be most welcome.

Rick
Deceased.
SJ413 tinwormed to the great car grave yard in the sky.
Vitara LWB V6 engine deceased and also in the great grave yard in the sky.
www.hideones.info www.hideones.info
Current wheels.
BMW X5 Le Mans 3.0turbo diesel.
Looking for a newish Suzuki Jimny.

RickUK
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow
Location: Not sure me Tom Tom is bust,but it could be North of Watford Gap.Could be Bedfordshire though.

Post by RickUK » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:21 am

As my original battery on the SJ has started to become unreliable i was going to buy a new one, but i have been given a 6 months old one from a shogun diesel its a bloody heavy old thing but i think this will fit in the engine bay but i may have to make another bracket to hold it in safely.

As this is much bigger and more powerful it wont cause any problem with the alternator will it ??? and if i remember correctly the SJ did have problems with the starter as the battery was not really powerful enough but you could buy a harness kit from Ebay that would cure this problem so would the bigger problem sort this out instead ???

Rick
Deceased.
SJ413 tinwormed to the great car grave yard in the sky.
Vitara LWB V6 engine deceased and also in the great grave yard in the sky.
www.hideones.info www.hideones.info
Current wheels.
BMW X5 Le Mans 3.0turbo diesel.
Looking for a newish Suzuki Jimny.

bourneyo
The Boss
The Boss

Post by bourneyo » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:28 pm

RickUK wrote:As my original battery on the SJ has started to become unreliable i was going to buy a new one, but i have been given a 6 months old one from a shogun diesel its a bloody heavy old thing but i think this will fit in the engine bay but i may have to make another bracket to hold it in safely.

As this is much bigger and more powerful it wont cause any problem with the alternator will it ??? and if i remember correctly the SJ did have problems with the starter as the battery was not really powerful enough but you could buy a harness kit from Ebay that would cure this problem so would the bigger problem sort this out instead ???

Rick
It shouldnt cause any problems with the alternator as all it does is charge the battery, but with a higher ampage battery you may start blowing fuses, so just carry a few spare. when i had a higher output alternator on my sj it kept blowing fuses, the most common fuse to go was the one to the ignition system killing the SJ.

as for the starter motor problem, it wasnt an issue with the battery it was with the wiring, suzuki used a wire that wasnt up to the job and would burn out over time, the harnes you can get from ebay just upgrades the live to the starter to a higher ampage cable, if you do suffer that problem it is cheaper to make your own and quite easy!

Dan 8-)
http://www.suzukiclubuk.co.uk the new home for your suzuki sj

Henry
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Henry » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:53 pm

Known as a clicky starter.

All i have done with mine is wire in a heavy duty push button on the dash. This mearly engages the starter. The engine will not fire without the ignition on.

Big batteries are fine, make sure they are secure tho. Last thing you want in a roll is a batter flying about earthing out all over the place.

carnut
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by carnut » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:15 pm

You really need two batteries if your running a winch,, lights, etc. mines running a heavy duty split charger. i made a battery tray from light duty angle, welded to form a tray, then bolted to bulkhead and inner wing..

Andy.