2001 Jimny Auto (Santana) - Transmission Failure/Problems

All tech relating to the newest bread of suzuki 4x4s
WillDC
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

2001 Jimny Auto (Santana) - Transmission Failure/Problems

Post by WillDC » Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:22 pm

The car is petrol, convertable Jimny, with G13 engine.
Car suddenly started making, a kind of slipping screeching noise, like a fan belt squeal noise but coming from the transmission.
Once I tried to drive it, it wouldn't engage gears in D.
At times it started to creep forward and sustain some travel for about 3-5 mins, until it gave up and wouldn't select a gear again.
Turning off and on again, the car wouldn't move at all, not in D, R, or 1, 2.
Leaving it sat for about 30 mins and trying again lets it creep for a short distance again but that's all.

It's been with a local garage that just does tyre and exhaust work for a couple of weeks, so I'm trying to find someone that can look at it and find out what the problem is, but seems to be rare and expensive trying to get someone to work on an auto.

The engine light is on, and it's showing a P0730 fault, it was also showing two gear ration errors but didn't get the codes for them.
Does anyone have any idea what is likely the fault, the garage said they think it's the torque converter needs replaced?
Transmission fluid was drained and replaced, as well as a rocker cover gasket replacement when we got the car in December last year, and is still pretty high. The engine had ahead gasket replacement in Feb too. (Never expected a Jimny to be such a money pit.)

I had it in a the nearest Suzuki dealership for an engine light a few months before, where there were a couple of errors, and they said that these were due to sensor connection issues (P0741), and they were for the transmission, so I'm wondering if they are related issues. If the dealership might have seen this as a potential for later issues?

Can anyone help or suggest further actions that might help?
Thanks
Will

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Re: 2001 Jimny Auto (Santana) - Transmission Failure/Problems

Post by Jordi » Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:16 pm

Sounds technical. Where are you located?

Ideally need a full list of codes.

I have just had a boat load of work done on a different vehicle showing various codes and most of that was just down to wiring and sensors.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:20 pm

A quick google points to a torque converter clutch solenoid issue for P0741. But if you can get a complete list of all codes.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

WillDC
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by WillDC » Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:11 pm

Thanks @Jordi

The P0741 issue was something that I took to the dealers, and they said it was a sensor issue, they said they corrected it and cleared the fault, and was fine for over a month. Now of course it's been for MOT and now it's barely driving.

It's only P0730 that the garage says is showing now. It's seemingly also something to do with the Torque Converter, but I'm not sure. It doesn't look like P0741 has reappeared though.

Thanks for the info so far, appreciate the input. Really just want to get this back on the road and not have to sell a kidney to do it.
Also I'm based in north-east of Glasgow.

Thanks
Will