Nothing I could do

Anything Suzuki related, but not technical, it goes here!
88SJ
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Nothing I could do

Post by 88SJ » Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:39 pm

Hi everyone...been a while since I've been on here...going to be after a few parts soon I hope.

I've had various SJs, Samurai's and a couple of early Vitara's since 1987 and must have covered a few hundred thousand miles in that time.

Had my first 'incident' last Wednesday. A dude pulled out of a side road without looking my way and I smashed in to him at 25-30mph. His BMW was obliterated on the front end - the driver and passenger in that car were fine as modern car crumple zones and airbags deployed.

My rock solid Samurai looks remarkably good given the impact - but, once the insurance assessor has been to view my Suzuki, I will need a few bits for the front end. This is assuming the chassis is not twisted or any other issues that are not currently obvious. We have not looked at the car on a ramp yet so we'll see.

Apart from that - happy new year everyone...and best wishes for 2023

Take it easy
Paul
Attachments
05.01.01.JPG

donkeychomp
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Re: Nothing I could do

Post by donkeychomp » Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:15 pm

Oh no! Fingers crossed it's a cheap repair. Were you okay?
If it ticks over...leave it

88SJ
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by 88SJ » Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:21 pm

Hope it won't be a write off as this is a pretty good Samurai - spent most of it's life in Corfu so very little corrosion.

I'm mainly ok now thanks...just suffering with chest injury from seatbelt - all is good if I sit upright and breathe normally...so no laughing, coughing, sneezing or moving.

Should be settled down in a week or so...

Take it easy
Paul

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:13 pm

Devastating. Chances are it will be written off as an uneconomical repair but you can just buy it back.

Doesn’t look too bad think the the bull bar has taken the brunt of it.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

d_r_1989
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by d_r_1989 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:32 pm

Glad your ok, looks like the front end has been pushed over to the drivers side abit.
Unfortunately like Jordi says it will probably be a write off but you can buy it back.
The front end is separate to the body so if that's all it's done you can source another front

88SJ
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by 88SJ » Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:20 am

Thanks for your comments...

The dude who owned this Suzuki before me used it in Corfu and had a removable front tow bar to move his boat around more easily - the bull bar is attached to that tow bar mount. The crew at work have had a closer look and there is some movement in the chassis.

The motor is defo written off by insurance company. Just need to assess the score before we buy it back.

Hopefully I'll be back at work next week and get it on a ramp for a proper poke around and do some measuring.

Fingers crossed....

Take it easy
Paul

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:32 pm

Man this is really sad to see. Hope the whiplash wasn’t too bad and there weren’t any injuries as well.

If you are going to try and save it I do have a NOS genuine driver side front wing and I think I have an ok condition front upper and lower panel in the workshop I’d be happy to sell you.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

88SJ
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by 88SJ » Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:50 pm

ScottieJ wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:32 pm
Man this is really sad to see. Hope the whiplash wasn’t too bad and there weren’t any injuries as well.

If you are going to try and save it I do have a NOS genuine driver side front wing and I think I have an ok condition front upper and lower panel in the workshop I’d be happy to sell you.
Thanks man...good to see you busy on here again. Hope you'll be fighting fit from your injury soon.

I am still hoping to buy the Samurai back but nothing is straight forward, I'm negotiating a package so we'll see.

I'll be knocking on your workshop door if I get the chance to put the Suzuki back on the road - fingers crossed

Cheers
Paul

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:20 pm

Fingers crossed it all works out. I’m sure she can be saved.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!