India - Wiring looms

Anything Suzuki related, but not technical, it goes here!
stimpy
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

India - Wiring looms

Post by stimpy » Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:52 am

Hey up folks,

Anyone used any of the "NEW" Indian wiring looms?. The wiring on my LWB shitter project has been chewed by small furries I suspect... The last time I got it started it actually set on fire!! Didn't help that a rats nest and loadsa leaves were right by the fire!!! :hahaha:

Got it out pretty quick and no doubt I could fix the wiring up pretty easy but if a new loom is so cheap why would I bother....

They seem to vary in price from £60 to £150.... No idea why...

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: India - Wiring looms

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:36 pm

If it’s a genuine Maruti loom it will be fine. If it’s not then I probably wouldn’t bother. Also it will be a Japanese style loom and I would presume your LWB is a Spanish built Sj so it won’t be just as simple as swapping the loom over, you’ll need to change plugs and also add wires for certain things to work.

It would probably be easier to just repair your loom if it’s a Spanish one.

I might even have a spare Spanish loom. I’ll have a look. I don’t like them so swap over to custom or Japanese looms 😅
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Rankine
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by Rankine » Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:37 pm

They really do sell everything for them.
Personally I haven't tryed them, maybe the looms for injection models ate the dearer ones
SJ413 LWB Santana 33s, 94",

stimpy
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by stimpy » Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:39 pm

Thanks lads,

Yeah my LWB is Spanish - hence all the rust!! haha..

Scottie - what don't you like about the Spanish looms? I do appreciate a fancy loom tbh and will be splicing the 16v into it anyway...

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:20 am

Where to start 😅

Tbh The main issue is that the PCB fuesboard is useless and often overheats and burns out so that’s the main thing to replace. I have used aftermarket fuse/relay boxes before, swapped whole Jap (late Spanish spi looms are also Jap style) looms in and in Blue I’m currently wiring it up with a GV1600 engine and fuse box.

Other things that I don’t like but you can live with.

The stalks are less reliable.

The speedo cluster is much harder to fit a VSS into for the fuel injection engine swaps, whilst it is possible it’s so much easier with the Japanese speedo.

The temp senders are harder to find in the correct resistance and crazy expensive from suzuki.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

stimpy
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by stimpy » Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:17 am

ScottieJ wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:20 am
Where to start 😅

Tbh The main issue is that the PCB fuesboard is useless and often overheats and burns out so that’s the main thing to replace. I have used aftermarket fuse/relay boxes before, swapped whole Jap (late Spanish spi looms are also Jap style) looms in and in Blue I’m currently wiring it up with a GV1600 engine and fuse box.

Other things that I don’t like but you can live with.

The stalks are less reliable.

The speedo cluster is much harder to fit a VSS into for the fuel injection engine swaps, whilst it is possible it’s so much easier with the Japanese speedo.

The temp senders are harder to find in the correct resistance and crazy expensive from suzuki.
:S WOW quite a list there Scottie!!

Certainly happy to replace the fuse board but getting sensors sounds tricky...

VSS - I assume you mean for running the tach? The speedo cable will run the speedo....

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:14 pm

The VSS is a Vehicle speed sensor. It’s basically just a reed switch that picks up off the magnet inside the speedo cluster sending a pulse signal to the ECU.

Without it a 16v won’t run as well and it will throw up the engine management light.

It takes a fair bit of modification to fit one into a Spanish speedo. It’s a bolt in swap for jap 413 speedos and its factory fitted in later spi sj speedos.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

stimpy
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by stimpy » Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:40 am

ScottieJ wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:14 pm
The VSS is a Vehicle speed sensor. It’s basically just a reed switch that picks up off the magnet inside the speedo cluster sending a pulse signal to the ECU.

Without it a 16v won’t run as well and it will throw up the engine management light.

It takes a fair bit of modification to fit one into a Spanish speedo. It’s a bolt in swap for jap 413 speedos and its factory fitted in later spi sj speedos.
Ah! I'm with you now.... I'm usually trying to work out how to get the speedo working on conversions not the other way round.

I've got Matts' old distributor run 16v - I'm assuming the dizzy signal will sort the ecu? Or will I have to run a VSS for the ecu?

It's funny, I remember back in the day folks talking about using the vit clocks and all sorts but never quite understood the electronic implications...