[Witty Title] '95 SJ413 rescue

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
tomcat
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: [Witty Title] '95 SJ413 rescue

Post by tomcat » Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:26 am

Keep up the work and as important the reporting.

stimpy
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by stimpy » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:16 pm

Haven't you been having all the fun again man!!!

Them dewalt drill bits are decent - used them to drill out a load of spot welds on my old bimmer...

With regards the coolant through the TB, you could always not bother reconnecting that as we're not likely to get icing here in the UK.... Or keep it OEM and reattach...

Tango91
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Tango91 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:44 pm

Haven’t I just… :roll:

Limiting the number of fluids that aren’t petrol near the intake manifold sounds like a recipe for success… So would I just blank off both the nipples at the throttle body and under the manifold?

While we’re on the subject of silly questions, what’s the doodad with the plug on the side of the fuel injection body, on the airbox facing side? I’ve got no plug that looks like it should go there, it looks like some kind of solenoid or valve. Thanks! :thumbup:

IMG_1058.jpeg

Tango91
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Tango91 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:36 pm

Sup.

After waiting half a lifetime for Royal Mail to deliver two sheets of gasket paper I caved and picked up a sheet at my local motor factors for 84p plus VAT. :roll:

A bit of online sleuthing led me to some US sites selling the proper base gasket that goes between the manifold and the throttle body:

IMG_0083.PNG

In the description it states those are rubberised metal. I've only got Flexoid gasket paper but I can't imagine it's under a huge amount of stress so we'll see.

The base gasket on the spare injection setup that Scott sold me was also a bit worse for wear, but in better nick than the one off the car. Someone went to the time and expense to put some RTV silicone on this one!

IMG_0128.jpeg

The mid gasket that goes between the injection block and the throttle body mercifully was in one piece in Scott's assembly so I was able to copy it in Flexoid.

IMG_0129.jpeg

Here's the base gasket all cut out. I left extra material between the sticky-out bits (technical term) on both in the hope of reducing the risk of a blowout.

IMG_1088.jpeg

That one got a thin coating of RTV on both sides before it went in the car.

I gave it a little time to cure, hooked everything else back up and filled up the coolant and the car started right up. :D The idle was a tad low once the auto-choke turned off, at just over the stall speed and running very lumpy, but a few turns of the idle adjustment screw and it seems to be just tickety-boo.

I had a quick squirt of brake cleaner around the gaskets to check for vaccum leaks and couldn't find anything too offensive.

Something I noticed though is that if I blocked off the entire inlet at the top of the throttle body with my hand, the engine will struggle, but continue to run? :S I assume it's breathing through the fitting in the intake manifold between the throttle body and the head, the one that's teed into the rocker cover and the airbox?

IMG_1092.jpeg

If anyone can confirm or deny that this is how these hoses are supposed to go that'd be grand, I can't really find a compelling answer online. :er:

I also found a bit of time to repurpose a couple of hoops I found in the back into battery tie-down points, which should stop it jumping about and starting a fire.

IMG_1089.jpeg

I'd like to get out and test it on the road to see if all my efforts have cured the bogging problem (please god) but I don't think plod would look too kindly considering it's out of MOT, tax and insurance. I might get away with pottering round the estate but the proof will possibly be on the way to the MOT station :S

Next up, inbetween DIY work on the man cave and all the other responsibilities that come with being a human, I'm considering swapping in the manual steering box and possibly wiring the horn properly, and fitting the temperature gauge that I fitted the sender for aeons ago.

Cheers! :thumbup:

Tango91
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Tango91 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:02 pm

They say a picture is worth 1,000 words, so here's a short story about Ol' Mate Dave. :roll:

IMG_1105.jpeg

If you know, you know...

Also,

IMG_1108.jpeg

:|

Tango91
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Tango91 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:52 pm

Sooo... Is anyone else actually here? :|

Anyway.

On today's episode of 'Why do I keep doing this to myself?'

IMG_1240.JPG

As I've now got somewhere dry to store the old girl I thought I'd spend today pulling the roof and that sorry excuse for a bulkhead off.

The roof was mostly held in with rusty self tappers and expanding foam, that hit the trailer bound for the tip pretty quickly.

IMG_1204.jpeg

The bulkhead, if you can call it that, was held in with one million fasteners including, but not limited to, philips and slotted head screws, tek screws, bolts, pop rivets, bathroom sealant, clout nails and roofing flashband. Let's have a look at this beautiful creation.

IMG_1206.jpeg
IMG_1207.jpeg

Plus some structural wood at the bottom there, that's important for letting the rain in.

IMG_1208.jpeg

That came out with some cursing and judicious use of the impact gun, it was bolted through the floor with some huge bolts.

I've got to hand it to Ol' mate Dave, he knew how to prioritize quantity over quality when it comes to fasteners. I've got more holes to fill than the duty manager at a whorehouse by a dockyard :brows:

IMG_1219.jpeg

I decided to pull out the remains of the rear interior panels and vinyl carpet, to see what was lurking underneath. I kind of wish I hadn't started, Dave's been a busy boy.

Like my dear mother always says, 'If you can't weld it, rivet a biscuit tin lid over the top of it and cover it in silicone" :roll:

IMG_1210.jpeg
IMG_1212.jpeg

And wouldn't you know it, there was a wheel lurking underneath!

IMG_1214.jpeg

Both sides look more than a bit suspicious in the areas above the arches, I wonder what's under the black silicone?

IMG_1216.jpeg

Body filler. The answer is body filler. And wire mesh, the sign of a true craftsman.

IMG_1223 2.jpeg
IMG_1235.jpeg
IMG_1225.jpeg

Lots of body filler. on both sides.

IMG_1226.jpeg

:tosser:

And plenty of soft spots that turn out to be holes in the load bed and the bit behind the seats.

There'll be plenty of welding to do, then :roll:

I shan't bore you further with pictures of rust, but the other side also had about two kilos of filler and wire mesh in it.

Hey, you know what's easier than undoing 4 bolts and dropping the tank to get to the fuel pump?

IMG_1227.jpeg

:tosser:

Decided to take a break from holes in the sheet metal and pulled the NSR wheel off to have a look at the brakes. I found that under the stupid plastic cap, the 4 bolts that hold the drum (and by extension the wheel) onto the halfshaft and wheel bearing were finger tight. The poor lass that was driving this thing daily wasn't too far from losing at least one wheel :S

IMG_1236.jpeg

On the bright side, not too bad, looks like new shoes. Plenty of brake dust and grime but I don't -think- the wheel cylinder is leaking.

On the other hand, the drum must have been dropped as part of the outer lip is missing. Worth replacing?

IMG_1237.jpeg

The other side is up against the wall so I've not had a chance to check the brakes, and I've had about enough of this thing for one day, goodnight. :salute:

tomcat
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by tomcat » Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:23 am

Welcome back. Pictures look familar.