Random Imobalisation

Got an electrical gremlin? Ask the question here.
Ginger_boy
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Random Imobalisation

Post by Ginger_boy » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:42 pm

Some years ago my Sami suffered from not starting, to overcome this i fitted a relay to the ignition system.
I was on a web site a couple of days ago and I noticed they did the same idea but for sale. I thought what a rip off so have done write up showing what and why. http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/shillingworld/new_page_6.htm hope this helps some one it did me :lol:
It' a 4x4 why not drive it across a field

urbanzook
Winching along now
Winching along now

Re: Random Imobalisation

Post by urbanzook » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:58 pm

nice work fella will save some one a few quid.
DONT FOLLOW ME YOU WONT MAKE IT !!!
SEE WOT I GET UP TO CLICK ME!!!!

Kirkynut
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Kirkynut » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:35 pm

Hi there,

I did this recently and it makes a big difference.

If you pay a few pennies more and get a relay from Halfords they have a diagram on the back telling you which pins do what, or any motor factors can tell you.

In effect, all you are doing is taking the strain off the wiring from the ignition switch as over the years the old wiring builds up a resistance and as Suzuki used wire that was only just capable of the job it is unable to cope all the time.

The relay switches the current staright across from the lead from the battery to the starter using the original lead from the ignition switch to the starter as the feed.

It's quite easy to do but think about where you mount your relay. Inside the cab behind the firewall is best to keep it away from water but I could not be bothered on the day I fitted mine and wrapped it up snug in electrical tape to keep it dry and mounted it up high near the battery.

If anyone is doing the job and gets stuck, let me know and I can advise. it's quite easy though.

Kirkynut

Tramp
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Tramp » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:04 am

yeah mines fitted with an easy start realy it was already fitted when i bought it, it uses a starter motor solenoid from an mg midget and uses 6mm cpc cable from the battery, through the solenoid and down to the starter solenoid above the starter motor
not had any trouble with it although i doubt it takes all the current the realy is rated for

Luke