WANDERING STEERING

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
roll_cage
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

WANDERING STEERING

Post by roll_cage » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:28 pm

Hello everyone, I have a santanna sj410 which is faultless (not being to cockey) :lol: ... but my brothers just bought a sj 413 which seems to wander on the road, could it be the shackle lifts?
Thanks

Pugsley
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: WANDERING STEERING

Post by Pugsley » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:35 pm

roll_cage wrote:Hello everyone, I have a santanna sj410 which is faultless (not being to cockey) :lol: ... but my brothers just bought a sj 413 which seems to wander on the road, could it be the shackle lifts?
Thanks
Could be so many things - lifting the body will tend to make the vehicle less stable but check the wheel bearings for wear/slack, suspension bushes, steering geometry, distorted brake discs, king pin wear, chassis distortion and I'm sure that more experienced members will add to my list.

Tramp
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Tramp » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:34 pm

yes, if it has lift shackles on the front they tend to 'wander' and can induce 'bump steer' which is a pain in the arse, also those lift shackles can fook your front springs up if your not careful,

ROBBIE
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by ROBBIE » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:49 am

id also check the u-bolts arnt loose on the front axel
Sid James gone but never forgotten
Jimny 1.6 not as good as an SJ but still good

muddy kev
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by muddy kev » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:19 am

has it got wheel spacers or off set rims? cos if u go up u should go out as well.
also simple check to do if u gently move the steering wheel how much movement b4 wheels start 2 move as could be to much play in steering box. u can adjust that out with the small screw on top of the box.
cheers kev

roll_cage
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by roll_cage » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:52 pm

Thanks everyone I'll tell him its probably the shackles lifts they look fairly dogey

Tramp

Post by Tramp » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:28 am

roll_cage wrote:Thanks everyone I'll tell him its probably the shackles lifts they look fairly dogey
ha! they usually are! If you look while its sitting on the flat alot of the lifted shackles lean the car over to one side, so if you think about it when your driving it must throw the axle from one side of the lean to the other, and thats why they are pretty shakey on the road, Im not saying all lift shackles are bad though, especially if they are used properly and on the back axle, also some of them ebay jobbies don't really seem up to it,

Luke

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:36 am

also jack the front end up and check for play in the wheel bearings and kingpin bearings.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!