410 t box into samurai

Starts at the flywheel, ends at the hubs, any problems along them lines, ask your questions here.
Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

410 t box into samurai

Post by Jordi » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:19 pm

Managed to rendezvous with my new 410 transfer box today. The seller ever so kindly met me on M1 while i was in the wagon to save me a special trip down.

I've give it the once over and it seems ok, poss wants bearings. Luckily i hav one of the largest bearing manufacturers on my doorstep. And apparently they hav an outlet shop.

My query is its a 410 box and shud hav a transmission hand brake. How do i adapt the output to take my sammy prop? Will the flange off my sammy box go on the back of the 410 box?

Cheers
Jordi
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

ROBBIE
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Re: 410 t box into samurai

Post by ROBBIE » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:01 am

the flange of your old box should go on
Sid James gone but never forgotten
Jimny 1.6 not as good as an SJ but still good

Henry
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Henry » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:04 am

Yeah just remove the old handbrake on the 410 box, then bolt your flange from the sammy box straight back on.... sorted 8-)

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:41 pm

Thats great news chaps. Im gona run my sammy box for a bit and im hoping to get to frickley in a week or so with YS.

Im still thinking about doing the rocklobster and hav had a ring about today found a few places that may do it. Still trying to get hold of one chap who may be able to just machine me some gear sets.

I'm just pleased i've got a 410 box even if it sits on the shelf a while till i decide what im gonna do.

Cheers
Jordi
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:41 am

machining some one off gear sets will cost more than importing a set of gears from the states! :shock:

It's not that simple a job to cut and shut the gears either as the metal needs to be softened before the cutting and welding (and pinning if done properly) and then re hardened. if it is not done properly then the gearset will not last very long.

Your best bet is to PM Rockwatt on difflock as he machines the gears/builds the whole box for a pretty good price and he uses allt eh correct techniques to ensure that the cut and shut gear is as strong as the original.

Scott
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Henry
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Henry » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:41 pm

Get the 410 box in for frickley, it's only a half hour job to swap the flanges.

If you want you can drive mine at frickley, I've got a lobster. Might help you decide weather or not it's worth it, but I've never looked back.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:17 am

Scottie, the bloke who i'm considering to do my gears runs a steel and alloys machining firm doing gears and items for car shredders so he's well clued up on gear sets and machining/hardening, not just a bloke in a shed. Just wish he'd ansa the sodding fone.

Thanks for the offer henry, im still hoping to make frickley and will definately hav and ansa by saterday afternoon.

Jordi

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:08 pm

cool, it's always good to check :lol:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:20 pm

On my travels ive got to know lots of fabricators and machine ppl. We move lots of engineering gear, crane parts and steel.

Some places aren't so helpful others are. Thats how ive acquired so much steel for nothing. Only steel i bought was the box section.

As i go to these firms everyfew weeks it makes it easier for me just to drop parts in and pick them up later.

Im not sure what most of them do so i just ring round and tell them what i want. If u get to talking to the right person they often do sideline jobs on their dinner cash in hand. If i do make a lobster i want it doing properly. Nothing worse than a terminal breakdown on the trail.

Jordi