flat springs and big shackles

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
DaveRobson
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

flat springs and big shackles

Post by DaveRobson » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:41 pm

im looking at buying my first sj, problem being that it has been lifted with shackles and the springs are now flat.

can i just put some standerd shackles and springs on and fit above axle rather then under?

does any one know how much these go for/any for sale in a few weeks?

Or any other good ideas?

cheers dave

Tramp
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Re: flat springs and big shackles

Post by Tramp » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:02 am

do you need a lift at all? even if they are flat you will probably be alright if you just whip standard shackles back on,

as for spring over... some people like it some don't, I'm not a fan of it myself, I think add-a-leafs are a good idea and alot of people use them as a starter lift, They are better than shackles a they don't induce the bump steer and they don't hang down like fangs, finally if any thing they make your springs less likely to snap,

If you look at ferris's thread you can see albatross's sj with the add-a-leafs http://www.suzukiclubuk.co.uk/phpBB3/ph ... &sk=t&sd=a

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: flat springs and big shackles

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:56 am

As tramp say just ditch the shackles and you'll probably be fine with the flat springs as there isn't much of an arch to sj front springs as standard, however if they bend the wrong way on flat ground then I would be inclined to replace them.

Do you need any lift to clear the tyres you are running? If so you have a few options.
add a leafs are usually a quick fix that sometimes work ok but in my opinion you will be better off with some real lift springs or going RUF (rear springs up front) and Bedford rascal springs on the rear, this can give you 1.5/2” of lift and can give you some good flex. Obviously the rear springs are longer than the fronts so you will need to either run banana shackles or missing link shackles. If you do a search on here you should find plenty of info.

One thing though.
Tramp wrote: finally if any thing they make your springs less likely to snap
Sorry Luke but I disagree with this. On many occasion I have seen people using add a leafs and the original springs have been so dead that under compression the old leaf flexes around the end off the add a leaf spring, this will eventually lead to the spring snapping.

like in this picture of Henry’s truck on the front drivers side
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!