SJ Lock Set

Not covered by any of categories below, want a winch or need to buy some recovery gear then your question goes in here!

You will also find online parts catalogues, Service manuals and a other useful info here.
Turb()
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

SJ Lock Set

Post by Turb() » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:21 pm

Right, just picked up my new suzuki SJ a few days ago. This is the second one I've owned so I know what they are like.
The only thing is the key that came with it doesnt work in the door lock, and the ignition can be started with anything!
Dodgy I know! lol
Its been converted to a pickup, so dont need a tailgate lock, and for some reason theres no passenger side lock, which my last one had. So all I need is a drivers door lock, ignition barrel and a key for both, but everyone that is breaking SJ's online seems to not have these parts available :S
Does anyone know where I can get them from, or what other cars have similar/the same lock set that I can just swap over? I'm happy to spend the money fixing this but dont wanna spend £s on a set that wont work!
And I obviously want to get this fixed asap as I cant lock the car or anything and anyone could drive it away haha.

And advice please :D

Edweird
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Re: SJ Lock Set

Post by Edweird » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:13 pm

Locks are always an asspain. My SJ's fuel filler cap has a lock, but it's rubbish. I can still get the cap off when it's locked. :|

My mum's Discovery (pardon the swears) has a different key for every lock and the ignition. :lol:

http://adksuzukispares.co.uk/sj%20&%20s ... parts.html

A site I found that may be of use to you.

If you're really running out of options what about an aftermarket van lock?
There's three ways of doing things:

The right way,
The wrong way
And my way, which is like the wrong way but faster.

Turb()
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Turb() » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:32 pm

Thanks! Ive dropped them an email 8-)

Its a good shout with the van locks, Im not fussy about what it looks like as long as its functional :lol:

Edweird

Post by Edweird » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:09 pm

Anytime. Glad I could be of some help.
There's three ways of doing things:

The right way,
The wrong way
And my way, which is like the wrong way but faster.

Turb()
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Turb() » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:18 pm

If I cant find any locks that fit I'm gonna get one of these I think

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CHROME-LOCKING-HA ... 2eb2229c65

But I dont want to get that then find a lock set as oem would be better :p

EDIT: Got the old door lock out to have a look, while its out I can lock and unlock the door, but anyone with half a brain can as well as they can poke their finger in the hole and do it lol.

It seems a pretty straight forward design, I might see if an old fiesta lock will work if I can get hold of one for not a lot

Turb()
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Turb() » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:30 pm

Ok, so still no luck with getting a lock and key for my door. Ive made an immobilising system for the truck now so not overly fussed about the ignition barrel, but I would like to be able to lock it!
So I've ordered a remote central locking kit off ebay for the grand total of £22.98 which will at least mean I can lock the thing! Then it gives me time to get hold of a proper lock for if/when the central locking packs up! lol
If I can get hold of one I may as well carry on using the remote fob tho if it works, it will look groovy on such an old car :p

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:29 am

Hi matey I'm in corsham and might have a sort of set, ill have a look for you tonight. Think I have an ignition with key and some door locks that use a different key.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:02 pm

I found a great alternative lock for you...

:lol:
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

Turb()
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Turb() » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:42 pm

lol, its a possibilty! :mrgreen:

@ScottieJ If you have got a lock set that would be wicked! I only need the drivers door lock and key really, but the ignition barrel and key would be a bonus! :)

Turb()
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Turb() » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:10 pm

Right, I have sucessfully fitted my remote central locking kit! It was fiddly for the first door, but after that I got the hang of it and flew through :)
This is all well and good, and is dead smart, but I am worried about the unit failing or the battery on my SJ dying and me not being able to get into the truck = not good :twisted:
As a backup measure for the battery dying I'm going to run a positive cable down from the battery with a protective cap on the end that I could access from outside the car so I could put a jump lead on it and earth somewhere else just to get some juice to open the doors, but this wouldnt help me if the remote unit failed :mrgreen:
So I still need a door lock and key!
I was at the scrap yard today looking at cars I could rob a barrel and key from, and came home with one from a Micra. At £5 for the set I thought it was worth a punt!
The barrel just fits in, and just touches the slider for the window, and I can connect it to the locking mechanism - and it works! however the key would only come out of the barrel in one position which was no good seeing as as soon as I turned the key back to take it out again the car would then be unlocked again.

So I modified the barrel slightly to allow the key to be removed in 2 positions, however these 2 positions are 180 degrees apart and the lock mechanism of the SJ wont move that far, so I need a barrel that only moves a quarter turn to operate and can take the key out in each position and not have to turn it back.

Or to somehow mod the micra barrel to allow me to remove the key in any position as this would then work!

Rambling on lol... hopefully someone will understand that! :roll: 8-)