firing on 3

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
petelee
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

firing on 3

Post by petelee » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:13 pm

Hi,My sammy seems to be only firing on 3 cylinders i still manage to get 50mph out of it but it takes a while to start.I took the rocker cover off and there was a ridiculous amount of carbon built up so i cleaned it then adjusted one of the tappets which was stuck fast but it didn't improve it at all.I've been told that it could be a possible build up of carbon thats stuck the valve in place or worse pushed it in but need to strip either way to tell.I've heard of a garage near here that pours some acid type stuff in the carb and engine and that dissolves all the muck and then he neutralizes it.Has anyone heard of this.Also is it worth rebuilding the engine or is it just as cheap to get a recon one.
Cheers
Pete

brilliant site by the way just wish i could get it running properly so i can get on with more enjoyable mods.

dominic
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Re: firing on 3

Post by dominic » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:05 pm

Hiya matey,
welcome to the club,

I not heard of the acid stuff your on about, but depending on your mechanical skills, if your ok then you could op to rebuild your engine,but its not cheap, you might be better to get a reconditioned one. yours is a SJ413 ? if so theres a new 413 block for sale on ebay ( im not the one selling it ). if you got that, then you could get a refurbed head.

I managed to get a new block for my 410, and i refurbed the head. i got proper suzuki replacement parts(not cheap), but i know at least my engine should last as long as the original one did ( hopefully), whereas reconditioned engines can be hit and miss.

hope this is of some help.

Dom

8-)
Currently Drive
SJ 410 Q 1985 (GREEN)
VITARA GL+ 2017 (SILVER)

Did have a IGNIS SZ5 4X4 2017 (BLACK)
Did have a GRAND VITARA 2.0 TD 2002 (GREEN)
Did have a JIMNY JLX 2001 (RED)
Did have a SJ 413V 1987 (SILVER)
Did have a BMW320i 1984 (PETROL BLUE)

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:08 pm

have you checked the simple things first? like are you getting a spark on the cylinder that is not firing? sorry if it sounds like a stupid question but i know what its like trying to find the source of a problem only for it to be someting silly like a dodgy lead or spark plug?
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

petelee
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by petelee » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:37 pm

had it on a diagnostics and its defo No4 valve so needs stripping and cleaning. so I'm after a gasket set anyone know a cheapish place to get them.gonna be reading up on how to strip it as my know how is more of a 'don't know how'.So my next few posts are gonna be pleading for help.Won't be doing it this w/end as the mates with the expertise are off to KORC.

bourneyo
The Boss
The Boss

Post by bourneyo » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:49 pm

They crop up on ebay everynow and again, a good motorfactors should be able to help!

if you get time fancy taking a few piks and doing a write up for the DIY page? saying how to do it, any problems you encountered etc. Would be a grate help to others in your position in the future! 8-)

Dan
http://www.suzukiclubuk.co.uk the new home for your suzuki sj

petelee
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by petelee » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:54 am

Yes i'll do that dan,I'm hoping to do most of it myself under close supervision,First job is to clear space in the shed.

pepe-le-pieu
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by pepe-le-pieu » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:57 am

Hi i dnt want to be a sport spoiler but if your engine is gone you can get one for £200/250 and it takes about 4 hours to swap. beleive me i have changed three of them. straight frward and nae bother. otherwise you need to strip all down and clean and try to put it back the way it was... :roll:
yes yes i bought it to save the rhino...long time ago

petelee
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by petelee » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:08 am

That was the way i was going to go but people who know more than me have suggested stripping it first and having a look at what needs doing.There's a cheap rough looking one on ebay thats just up the road from me which i may get any way just in case, and if mine's not that bad I've got some'art to practice on.I was hoping for some assistance today as my mate gets back from korc but he rolled his warrior so i'm off round his to give a hand sort his lights out.

baRoN
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by baRoN » Fri May 02, 2008 7:15 pm

OK so you have already put a post in the engine section. Please ignore my previous post :gag:

petelee
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by petelee » Sat May 03, 2008 11:39 pm

Hi again.Well we stripped the engine last saturday and it was the No4 exhaust valve that was really misshapen,I'll post a pic of it tomorrow so you can see how bad it was.I got all the necessary bits and pieces for 56 quid,including a valve compressor clamp,which after getting the valve out with a g clamp decided it wasn't worth risking my fingertips for the sake of 15 quid when replacing it.Its running a lot better although I think it needs some fine fettling which i'm going to let a garage do for me.So I'll be all ready to go offroading next week.Might even get round to de-yellowing those wheels soon.