smoking sj

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
slowjoe
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

smoking sj

Post by slowjoe » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:14 pm

hi im new to this site so would like to say hi. iv just recently decoded to sell the old fiesat rs turbo and buy the mrs a bmw and me an old 1986 sj410 i got the old tank cheap so im not worried about having bought a lemon lol. the body work is great and we have sum test on the old girl so its great just wot i wanted when we get some snow. the problem i have is the bugger smokes like hell! and stinks like oil :yuk: but its grey smoke not blue? im no mechanic but no my bits and bobs and first thought is stem seals but just not sure as maybe head gasket???? iv run some stop smoke through her but that doesnt seem to have made a diffrence it does settle a little when warm but soom as you touch the gas fills the street lol.... i dont want it to be perfect as its only my winter tank but any help or cheap fixes would be great thanks. joe rotherham

dan_2k_uk
I spend far too much time on here

Re: smoking sj

Post by dan_2k_uk » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:46 pm

Hi and :welcome:

The most likely cause is probably the valve stem seals.

Seems to happen to most of them at some point

Dan
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

Christoff
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by Christoff » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:50 pm

Start with the basics mate. Compression test. If you think it's stem seals then easy job get head off, rebuild and back on with new head gasket

If the smoke is there pretty much all the time then more likely to be worn piston rings. I suppose it's possible that it would burn oil with a blown head gasket but more likely that you would notice other problems as a result of gasket failure.

slowjoe
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by slowjoe » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:12 pm

cheers guys i think me and my mate who is a mechanic will attack the stem seals is it a big job on these?? i hope we can get it sorted easy enough it dunt half smell jesus my clothes reeeeeeek!!! and i was only stood near it trying to warm it up to see if it calmed down! looking forward to getting to no you guys i used to love the fiesta turbo forum sum realy helpfull people. seem to have fell in love with the old tank and i havnt been further than the corner shop yet lol.

dan_2k_uk

Post by dan_2k_uk » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:14 pm

Yeah I didnt mean start there but from experience of these engines it always seems to end up being the case.
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

slowjoe
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by slowjoe » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:20 pm

iv been reading about the pcv valve any ideas if that could be the cause?
it would be nice to no some 1 who lives me that no,s these engines but i cant seem to find any 1 that no,s them inside out yet

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:38 pm

:welcome: to scuk matey good choice on the vehicle, once you sort the :smokin: issue the little 970s are rev happy little monsters.

If it smokes constantly chances are that it could be piston rings, to check those do a compression test and write down the readings, then pour a small amount of oil into the each cylinder and do another compression test, if the values are higher then its your piston rings if not its more than likely just the valve stem oil seals.

The pcv valves rarely play up on these but you should be able to hear it rattling if it is working. I doubt its the cause of all the smoke but pop it out and give it a clean by shacking it about in a tub of petrol/carb cleaner if you want.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Newtomud
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by Newtomud » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:40 pm

:welcome: to the club Joe.

ferris
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by ferris » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:09 pm

:welcome: to the club. Hope you get your :smokin: problem sorted.
86 SJ413 tin top, 1.6 8v, SU carb, YJ spring conversion, virtual lift, 33x12.5x15 KL71's, rocklobster, rear discs, power steering.

slowjoe
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by slowjoe » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:09 am

wot would be the easiest if that is the case do the work on bang in a new engine?? i cant seem to find an engine nor can i find piston rings or stem seal lol :S