1600 sport GV back axle

All tech relating to the Suzuki Vitara that won't relate to any other models, Front IFS etc.
dented
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

1600 sport GV back axle

Post by dented » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:52 pm

Hi,folks, just a quickie; does anyone know if a 2005 Grand Vitara 1.6 sport (1998-2005 model) if the back axle has a LSD? .I ask this 'cos it is just amazing where the little truck will go ,off road in only 2WD....!?
Cheers ,Mick.

souleh
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Re: 1600 sport GV back axle

Post by souleh » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:01 pm

AFAIK it isn't a LSD.

RickUK
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow
Location: Not sure me Tom Tom is bust,but it could be North of Watford Gap.Could be Bedfordshire though.

Post by RickUK » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:34 pm

I doubt that i has a LSD,of course its possible that someone fitted a aftermarket one but as far as i am aware they id not fit them at the factory either standard or optional extra.I had a Isuzu Trooper that had one fitted and that was the best 4x4 that i ever owned i had that for nearly 17 years and never had any problems with the engine.

My Vitara does not have a LSD but its never got stuck as yet,i loose my bottle before the Vitara would.
Deceased.
SJ413 tinwormed to the great car grave yard in the sky.
Vitara LWB V6 engine deceased and also in the great grave yard in the sky.
www.hideones.info www.hideones.info
Current wheels.
BMW X5 Le Mans 3.0turbo diesel.
Looking for a newish Suzuki Jimny.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:04 pm

Some old Lwb vits, the ex-ec I think it was called did for example. Haven't heard of any GVs with them from the factory. Tbh if yout tyres are good you can go a lot of places you wouldn't expect in 2wd
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Anton
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by Anton » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:41 pm

Yeah, I heard that some Vits did have them. From memory (which could easily be wrong) they had some kind of marking on them to indicate that you should only fill the rear axle with LSD oil if they had one, and some had a sticker to say they have an LSD.

If it says nothing in your handbook about LSD oil for the rear axle, and there's nothing on the casing, then I'd assume you have a generic open diff.

The thing about Suzi's is, mine goes places in 2wd that other vehicles struggle in 4wd. I got over stuff in 2wd that a Landcruiser with a rear locker couldn't get over locked and in 4wd. My super-knobbly tyres might have been something to do with that though...

Suzi's are better. They just are. I'm willing to admit that some LR's can just about get through stuff I can't, but they're on 35's with dual lockers and cost 5x as much as my little truck - which *will* keep up with anything that doesn't have dual lockers and tyres that could pass for Saturn's rings...
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

dented
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by dented » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:17 pm

Cheers guys! no to LSD then,but it's great fun seeing how far 2WD takes you before you have to grab the 4WD lever.....!!
Mick.
Ps. this has been on my Cooper road tyres...!