Anton's build

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
Anton
I spend far too much time on here

Anton's build

Post by Anton » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:30 pm

Heya, guys. I think it's about time I had a build thread of my own, so here it is.

The story so far:

Few years ago, bought a 1986 SJ413 for offroad only use. Bog standard, with bog standard rust everywhere. Put extended shackles and a bodylift in it, a set of s/h BF Goodrich MT's (31's) on some 8J deep dish Dihatsu rims on it, and a home-made snorkel that doesn't come out of the side of the bodywork (so it can't be ripped off by a tree):

Then got a Sammy engine (G13bb 8v)as the G13a in it was smoking enough to hide a bus (not joking or exaggerating there - I actually hid a whole bus with the smoke it put out) and axles from a Sammy as they're a bit wider/more stable, SPOA'd 'em and trussed 'em, shoved 'em under the wee beastie and went back to standard shackles:

Too tall. Didn't like the way it drove offroad. So out came the body lift, my mate Scottie put it on it's side, so swapped the driver's door with one I knicked off a Sammy:

Then the neighbours granddad smashed the windscreen with a massive pole sticking out the back of his trailer, and pretended it wasn't him. Nice. Anyhow, thanks to that and malfunctioning brakes, it sat like that for way, way longer than I'd be willing to admit.

So recently I decided to get working on it.

First up - make a rear brake disk conversion kit:

Next, recondition the Asin calipers (everything apart from the sliders and the caliper bodies are new), wire brush the crap off 'em, paint them, generally get 'em ready:

Aaaaaand that brings us up to today. Today I tore into the thing and replaced all the suspension bushes with brand new bright orangy red poly bushes and brand new shanked bolts, and got the Vitara calipers (which should never have gone on there - mistake!!!) off, and replaced them with the Asin's that were there in the first place (the now bright blue ones) and fitted new braided brake hoses:

This piece of nastyness came out:

Need new bushes, y'think????

Contents of one of the brake drums:

Ok, so that's us up to date. Currently the vehicle is out there on axle stands, waiting for me to cut up the backing plates (I've stripped down the rear brakes to their backing plates, but I ran out of sunlight before the angry grinder could tear down the plates into bearing retainers).

Still got to pull the caliper mounts off the front axle, cut them down, then everything should bolt up real nice. Hopefully if I get some time tomorrow, that'll get done, the braided brake hoses can go in the back (only front ones fitted so far) and then I just need to re-clean the vit brakes.

Re-clean because:

That's a "before and after" shot of me cleaning them up a few months back. I didn't paint them, I just fitted them on the front (where they weren't supposed to live, dopey me!)

Here's what one of them looked like when I pulled it after a couple of months just sitting there. Not a single mile on them - just sat in a driveway:

So I'll clean those up again, paint them, then I've got all new rubber boots and seals etc for them (already got brand new pads in 'em) so they'll be recon too, although I haven't bought new pistons for these like I did with the Asins on the front.

Once they're recon'd, I'll shove 'em on the back, and I should be ready to bleed the system and then she'll be driveable again - although not road legal (which is the aim of this rebuild - get 'er through an MOT!).

Oh, and I bought a set of Malatesta Kaiman's (or Kaiman Malatesta's - not sure which way around the names go) at some point:

Those are 31x10.5x15's. I'll put those on the steelies, then get rid of the BF Goodrich MT's.

*edited to sort out the pics which I hotlinked from Facebook, and who decided to b0rk up all my links about a year later. Now hosted on photobucket.

*edited again to sort out the pics which I hotlinked from Photobucket, and who decided to b0rk up all my links (unless I pay $480/year) about a year later. Now hosted on flickr.
Last edited by Anton on Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Re: Anton's build

Post by Jordi » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:37 pm

C'mon MOT.

Good to see your back on with it. I daren't say how long my tin tops been sat. Its a while. I do like the look of those tyres. I'm so tempted to get the insa turbos in a 33".

Looks like a plan to throw money at it. Keep us updated. Lots of pics!
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

Anton

Post by Anton » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:47 pm

Thanks Jordi! It's a bit of a shed at the moment, LOADS of stuff to do. In fact, here's a list off the top of my head:

To do list:
  • Cut up the rear brake drum backing plates to make bearing retainers
  • Clean, paint and recon the rear calipers (now Rover 200 rears)
  • Scavenge calliper mounts from the original front axles for the rear disk conversion
  • Redrill the caliper mounts
  • Fit the rear disk conversion kit
  • Replace rear brake hoses
  • Sort out the handbrake (I have new shoes for it, but also have an x-eng disk conversion kit)
  • Replace broken rear lights with LR lights
  • Sort out the front indicators/sidelights
  • Sort out the side indicators.
  • Fit a new horn (tested the old one, it's dead).
  • Replace the front windscreen
  • Get the windscreen wipers and washers working, fit the new windscreen wipers.
  • Replace the valves in the wheels
  • Fit new tyres
  • Flare the wheel arches to cover the tyres
  • Strengthen/replace seat mounts (driver's side collapsed!) - all welded up nicely.
  • Search for rust near seat/seatbelt mounts and weld in new metal if needs be
  • Buy/fit new car battery
  • Modify the bullbar so it doesn't obscure the headlights
  • Replace dead bulbs, get the fog light refitted/working.
  • Plate/weld up the floor
  • Lengthen the arm on the carb
  • Bolt the drivers seat back in... :lol:
  • Get the reverse lights working
  • Get/make Rover rear caliper mounts.
  • Get flexi pipes for the rear calipers (Can't believe I forgot that!)
  • Sort out the slop in the steering box (it's not actually that bad) or fit the Vit power steering setup
  • Fit Rover rear calipers, fit flexies, bleed brakes.
  • Wire up the rear number plate light
  • Fit/wire up the fog light and switch
  • Get new brake bulbs/indicator bulbs
  • Get new brake line clips and fit 'em
  • Find my stash of split pins and fit a couple to the castle nuts on the drag link/track rod ends
  • Fit the exhaust
  • Make rear brake pipe fittings and weld them to the axle
  • recondition front axle (new seals, felts, bearings, kingpin bearings etc)
  • Get a Rockwatt SU manifold and fit the SU HIF44
  • Tune the SU to pass emissions
  • Sort out the diff breathers (rear done)
  • check rear halfshafts, fit new bearings and reinstall into the rear axle.
  • Make a rockbucket
  • Fit the x-engeneering x-brake to the rocklobster
  • Fit the new Rocklobster T-case with rockbucket and x-brake
  • Fit the new front diff (this has to come out now! Going chromoly shafts...
  • Fit the compressor, switchgear, loom and air lines
  • Rebuild a pair of 3.9 26 spline diffs with lockers
  • Rebuild a spare 3.9 diff with 26 spline side gears
  • Fit the new chromoly front halfshafts
  • Fit the new 26 spline diffs
  • Fit the new shock bushes
  • Fill the axles with the correct oil
  • Fit new bonnet catches
  • Strip and paint the steel rims
  • Sort out the rust
  • Paint the whole SJ
  • Save up for and get a full float rear axle
  • Save up for and fit an Ignis Sport engine, loom and ECU
That list may get bigger as I think of things that need doing... :hahaha:
Last edited by Anton on Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:22 am, edited 29 times in total.
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:10 pm

Sounds like an interesting build. I read those other posts about the jago body. Nice list to keep you going for now.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

donkeychomp

Post by donkeychomp » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:42 pm

Looks like a damn good plan to me, I always wanted a Jago bodied SJ.

Keep up the good work matey :D
If it ticks over...leave it

OllieSJ

Post by OllieSJ » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:49 pm

When are you doing the jago swap ??
Sj410Q- Spacers, Bucket seats, Su carb , Mot and Tax

Anton

Post by Anton » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:45 pm

OllieSJ wrote:When are you doing the jago swap ??
I can't tell you exactly when, I have to get the wee beastie MOT'd first otherwise VOSA won't inspect it afterwards and then it'll never be road legal again.

OllieSJ

Post by OllieSJ » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:50 pm

let me know when you get it moted as im after a sj wing so suppose you will make it solid and i will buy it off you so i dont have to buy a new one but need its ish soon thanks ollie

Anton

Post by Anton » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:45 pm

2 problems, Ollie - both wings have been "rearranged" a bit by a tree or two, and the Jago body swap is probably months away...

OllieSJ

Post by OllieSJ » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:21 pm

ahh right they did look alright in that pic will still have the body and doors etc off ya as its exactly the same as mine