Lockright

Starts at the flywheel, ends at the hubs, any problems along them lines, ask your questions here.
ross_32
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Lockright

Post by ross_32 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:54 pm

Has any one had a lockright diff lock in the front and rear?

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Re: Lockright

Post by Ladaman » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:19 pm

I think Mike Harris has, but he uses his for challenge events, not road use.

I have one just in the rear. It's OK on the road, but awesome off road.

I don't think I'd be too keen if using on the road, but then again there is no power going to the front in 2WD, so it might be OK.
YouTube
Ignis Sport 1.5 16V; Jimny gearbox, 410 transfer box; 5.125:1 Vitara diffs; rear Lockright, Rob Storr full float rear axle, rear discs, YJ springs, virtual lift, 31" Grizzly Claws, beadlock rims, +50mm LR arches, LED rear lights, LED roof spots, bucket seats, Luke harnesses, internal cage

mike harris
SCUK is my life
SCUK is my life

Post by mike harris » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:51 pm

There brilliant !! Do it :) fit two, if not three !! :£

ross_32
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by ross_32 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:53 pm

Yea I think it should be ok I've always got my freewheeling hubs unlocked when not off road I have two kits sitting there was just wondering if any one had done it and how they perform off road ie hard to turn or snapping shafts etc

mike harris
SCUK is my life
SCUK is my life

Post by mike harris » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:07 pm

Snapping shafts is more to do with how you drive and if your axles bend ect

I'm sure you'll love them

Mike

ross_32
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by ross_32 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:16 pm

I will admit I do give my anus a hard time sometimes but I've owned jimnys and sjs for 4 years and never snaped a shaft yet aprt from 1 rear prop whilst my mates snap half shafts cv joints etc I'm just worried about the turning circle off road with the lockers

Anton
I spend far too much time on here

Post by Anton » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:03 pm

If your Jimny still has working vac operated hubs, you could do the "busta" mod. Takes 10 minutes, apparently:

http://www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum ... =888#82371

This means that when you're in 4wd, you can disengage the front hubs with a simple switch. Then if you're offroading and you need a very tight turn, flick the switch. Now you're in 2 low.

If that's not enough to give you really tight turns, then add a pair of line locks (manual ones can be as little as £30, electrically operated ones £55) and you'll be able to "doughnut" on command - lock one of the front wheels and "skid steer" it.

For really tight turns though, you'll want manual locking hubs. Jump out and unlock one hub and the opposite one will still get normal amounts of torque with a lockright, so your skid steer will be at least 50% more effective than a 2wd skid steer. Mike has manual hubs front and rear - I imagine him unlocking both hubs on one side of the vehicle, and doing the perfect skid steer manoeuvre.

But if I were you, I'd start with the "busta" mod and see how you get on before thinking about line locks.
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

ross_32
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by ross_32 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:55 pm

It's not for my jimny it's on my sj413 jimnys out of comision just now (long story)

Anton

Post by Anton » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:21 pm

Ah, ok - well, then if it's got freewheeling hubs, you can still unlock one, although I'd imagine it being a complete pain in the backside...
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map