Sills on a grand vitara help please

Not covered by any of categories below, want a winch or need to buy some recovery gear then your question goes in here!

You will also find online parts catalogues, Service manuals and a other useful info here.
dougie212
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Sills on a grand vitara help please

Post by dougie212 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:37 am

Hi there,

I could just do with some help regarding the sills on my 2002 grand vitara. In January, it failed the MOT and I paid (was screwed over) a fortune to have a new control arm, new cv boots ( not done ) and a fist sized hole in the seatbelt anchorage points ( I'm guessing the sills ) welded.

I went to a garage in the week who are far more trustworthy. They have voiced their concern that the sills may have just been fibreglass patched and coated the whole length with underseal. They have said it may or may not get through another MOT without having more welding done.

I have until January and really don't want to give up on the GV, she's an awesome motor, so I was wondering if anyone could advise if it is possible to have new sills fabricated and welded on. I think if the whole lot is replaced then maybe it would last me years longer. Has anyone ever done or had this done please or know of someone that could do it for a reasonable price. In Midlands based and am ok at mechanics but bodywork and fabrication is nowhere near my strong point.

Thanks in advance
Duncan

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Re: Sills on a grand vitara help please

Post by Jordi » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:51 am

New sills can be fabricated from sheet steel / box section or tube. All depends what look you want.

For a GV it's probably still possible to buy replacements pattern panels.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (933.79 KiB) Viewed 7341 times
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:53 am

Thats on an SJ. Folded 1.5 mm steel.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (943.72 KiB) Viewed 7340 times
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

dougie212
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by dougie212 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:57 am

That's awesome... Where on earth do I get that done please?? Would it be expensive do you think? I'm certainly not a fabricator so think I'd rather ask someone in the know to do it and maybe watch to learn...

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:34 pm

I had the sills folded up for £30 and welded them up myself.

Any sheet steel fabricator can fold them up.

Where abouts are you?

Have you looked for replacement panels? Just drill the old one out at the spot welds and weld a new one in.

dougie212
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by dougie212 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:34 pm

I'm in Cannock, Staffordshire but if I'm honest if it means keeping my awesome GV on the road, and getting it through its MOT in January I'm willing to travel..

I haven't looked for the panels to be honest, I'd assumed that they would need to be fabricated.