Full float axle oil leak

Starts at the flywheel, ends at the hubs, any problems along them lines, ask your questions here.
mike harris
SCUK is my life
SCUK is my life

Re: Full float axle oil leak

Post by mike harris » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:30 pm

He's a pain rob bless him !! Great products though !!

Anton
I spend far too much time on here

Post by Anton » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:54 pm

Jordi wrote:Getting mine from RockWatt too, I'm on 11months and waiting. Shouldn't be long now. Will have built in seals and be the same width as standard axle though.
Snap!

I've only been waiting for a few weeks though.
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

ferris
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by ferris » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:03 pm

Just ordered a couple of 25X62X8 oil seals. Hopefully they will solve it, because it pissing out the other side as well now :lol:
86 SJ413 tin top, 1.6 8v, SU carb, YJ spring conversion, virtual lift, 33x12.5x15 KL71's, rocklobster, rear discs, power steering.

dan_2k_uk

Post by dan_2k_uk » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:29 pm

Think Scotties bearing seals were keeping the oil in so his bearings are lubed with diff oil. Seems to work.
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

Anton

Post by Anton » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:44 pm

Jordi wrote:Getting mine from RockWatt too, I'm on 11months and waiting. Shouldn't be long now. Will have built in seals and be the same width as standard axle though.
How are you planning on getting to stock width - cutting down a sammy axle, or using a 413 axle with 19mm spacers each side?

I'm thinking about making a jig for the axle to bolt to that is squared, then cutting the axle down and welding it back up with trusses. The other option is to make an adapter to space out the end of each axle by 19mm - I thought about making a stack of plates - 3 lots of 5mm and a 4mm steel plate. Once they're in place I'd just tack weld them together to keep them steady.

I've been thinking about the adapter route and I worry that the bolts would have to be a bit long, and therefore might be under excessive stress.

What're your plans for getting it to stock width, mate?
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:15 pm

Rich is doing the lot. Front and rear cases. Trusses, gussets, diff caps, YJ spring mounts, shortening a samurai rear axle and putting new flanges on the ends to take a front hub and disc carrier and making shafts to appropriate length.

Be like brand new when i get them back, fully armoured and bolt straight on.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

mike harris
SCUK is my life
SCUK is my life

Post by mike harris » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:40 am

There is a huge amount of force exerted on the adaptor, need to be billit I would say.

When it comes to axle trussing and cutting and welding axle casings I've done some bad things !!

Making a jig won't help I did that and when I welded it it still bent, it's more about the way it's welded.

I think my back axle now isn't conplelty stright it's so easy to get them to hot whilst welding them

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:35 am

Thats why mines with Rich. I wouldn'tknow where to start.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

Anton

Post by Anton » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:53 pm

Yes, I don't want to bend the axle - I'm going to try to get "special" Ross from HPOC to help me out with the welding, he's one of the top coded welders in the country.

I'm going to make the trusses etc, then either drive down to him, or wait until he pops up to London next.

It's not a big issue for me to wait, I have a feeling that Rockwatt is super busy right now, and he's going to have me waiting a while for my kit.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:25 pm

Fresh new hub seals keep the oil in, mine has only leaked once and I just throw in a new hub seal.

It's not an ideal design without the shaft oil seal but tbh i've had minimal issues and the constant feed of diff oil has helped prolong the rear bearing life.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!