Winter Tyres for road use not off road

All tech relating to the Suzuki Vitara that won't relate to any other models, Front IFS etc.
Airforceone
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Winter Tyres for road use not off road

Post by Airforceone » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:30 pm

Need some advice on the above.

Never had winter tyres before but looking into getting a set along with alloys to swap over
during the winter months.

I have a 2013 Grand Vitara SZ5 so size is going to be 235/55/18 on 8Jx18 rims the standard wheels are 225/60/18 so not a massive difference.

Been looking at Nokian WR SUV 3 or Bridgestone Blizzak DM V2, both are about £100 a tyre
and have excellent reviews.

Can anyone comment on these tyres or give suggestions on other brands.

Cheers

donkeychomp
I spend far too much time on here

Re: Winter Tyres for road use not off road

Post by donkeychomp » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:24 am

Never too sure what tyre companies mean by 'winter' tyres. Are they all terrains with another name? Most of us here use M/T's all year round...not only are they fantastic in the mud/snow, they seem to work very well on the road in every day use. I'd go for a set of mud tyres full time.
If it ticks over...leave it

Airforceone
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Airforceone » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:47 am

As I'll only be doing normal road/motorway driving I need which ever tyres I get to be relatively economical
Most off road tyres aren't unfortunately. The tyres I mentioned are specifically for suv/4x4's and get high ratings on tyre reviews.co.uk.

What may help is if someone can verify if 16 inch wheels will fit on a 2013 GO, this might help my decision on tyre size. It came with 18 inch as standard.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:43 am

Don't bother wasting your cash on "winter" tyres, its a con.

If your only driving on motorways or "normal" roads standard road tyres are fine.

I used my '58 plate GV on low profiles (20" rims) in all weathers, all road conditions.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (138.09 KiB) Viewed 8963 times
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

Anton

Post by Anton » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:29 am

I have to agree with Jordi - winter tyres are a bit of a con. Almost no-one I know of has ever fitted "summer" or "winter" tyres - they just fit good all round tyres and they're done with it.

If you're interested in fuel economy, look at some low rolling resistance tyres perhaps?

And Jordi - that GV looks like someone bobtailed it! I LOVE how that thing looks, I've never really been into GV's but that looks a bit sexy!
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

dan_2k_uk

Post by dan_2k_uk » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:11 am

Winter tyres do work on compacted snow or ice.

What we normally get over here is a bit of snow overnight that warms up and turns to slush by the end of rush hour.

The way snow tyres work is that all the tiny slits fill with snow which is the best thing to grip more snow (imagine making a snowball)

As soon as the conditions change away from that you may as well be on a decent set of ATs with high silica content as if there's no fresh dry clean snow to fill the slits then snow specific tyres won't have much benefit.

For deep snow off the beaten track some nice soft MTs all the way.
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

RickUK
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow
Location: Not sure me Tom Tom is bust,but it could be North of Watford Gap.Could be Bedfordshire though.

Post by RickUK » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:48 am

Jordi wrote:Don't bother wasting your cash on "winter" tyres, its a con.

If your only driving on motorways or "normal" roads standard road tyres are fine.

I used my '58 plate GV on low profiles (20" rims) in all weathers, all road conditions.
image.jpeg
@Jordi,i do like the look of that GV that you use,have sent you a PM.

Have never seen the need in using Winter tyres or even the expense especially on a 4x4,i would have said that is say Norway/Sweden those types of countries that have long snow duration then that would be a good/wise move but here in the UK we only get the odd flurry and in the last 2 years have never got stuck or had traction problems.I run bog standard road tyres and not even AT tyres on my Vitara,cheap as chips and works fine for my needs,never got bogged down on any of the farms that i visit.
Deceased.
SJ413 tinwormed to the great car grave yard in the sky.
Vitara LWB V6 engine deceased and also in the great grave yard in the sky.
www.hideones.info www.hideones.info
Current wheels.
BMW X5 Le Mans 3.0turbo diesel.
Looking for a newish Suzuki Jimny.

Tramp
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Tramp » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:25 pm

I've never had winter tyres but I know that some people swear by them and they would be throwing their toys out of the pram at this thread! And that's fair enough, they make them for a reason and if people want to invest why not, unfortunately Because im a tight Yorkshire man I try not to part with my money unless it's necessary, therefore my daily drive tyres are the cheapest money can buy and my SJ sits on remoulds....... So I'm probably not the best person to give tyre advice, unless of course you want my standard Yorkshireman logic 'they all do a job, but as they are consumable you'll be replacing them anyway, so why spend a lot?'

RickUK
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow
Location: Not sure me Tom Tom is bust,but it could be North of Watford Gap.Could be Bedfordshire though.

Post by RickUK » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:33 pm

@Tramp,i am of the same wavelength as yourself,i bet you have a combination lock on your wallet as well :hahaha: i have and i am not even from Yorkshire :D
Deceased.
SJ413 tinwormed to the great car grave yard in the sky.
Vitara LWB V6 engine deceased and also in the great grave yard in the sky.
www.hideones.info www.hideones.info
Current wheels.
BMW X5 Le Mans 3.0turbo diesel.
Looking for a newish Suzuki Jimny.

ROBBIE

Post by ROBBIE » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:24 pm

Not from Yorkshire and I agree with you tramp ;)
Sid James gone but never forgotten
Jimny 1.6 not as good as an SJ but still good