F10A Engine - Bedford Rascal / Suzuki Carry

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
sherrifrob
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

F10A Engine - Bedford Rascal / Suzuki Carry

Post by sherrifrob » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:14 pm

Hi Guys,

I have a 1990 Bedford Rascal (not a 4X4 obviously, basically a toy van) & the engine which was a refurb only done a few months ago has gone kaput (head gasket is gone & probably a cracked liner). Due to age finding an engine which hasn't been driven into the ground to recondition or refurb is a problem. Also nothing else fits easily so I can forget about finding something similar like a larger bike engine & putting that in. Unfortunately the 1.3 engine for the later super carries do not fit, that would be too easy.

Just wandering if anyone here has had any luck importing engines direct from Suzuki or from Asia? I'm looking at £1000 for a refurb anyway so I'm just sussing out my options for just biting the bullet & putting something new in assuming I can find somewhere which does them new.

I know its not a 4X4 at 970cc its more like the engine your 4x4 uses to power it's windows but you guys have the experience when it comes to digging up Suzuki engines.

Any ideas much appreciated.

Thanks!

dan_2k_uk
I spend far too much time on here

Re: F10A Engine - Bedford Rascal / Suzuki Carry

Post by dan_2k_uk » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:06 pm

The F10A is what's used in the SJ 410s and people frequently pull them out to fit 1.6s so you may have some luck finding one here. There will probably be some differences with bits like the way the distributor mounts, the sump, or the fuel system which seems to be the case with a few of the different versions of the G series engines but the block will be the same and I would have thought the head will be the same or similar.
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

sherrifrob
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by sherrifrob » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:00 pm

Thanks Dan!

The F10A was used in some other Suzuki models which was encouraging when I started looking but they seemed to have dried up. To be fair they're all from the 90's & weren't exactly instant classics. Rascals used to be everywhere.
Suzuki parts bloke had a mini stroke when the reg came up as Vauxhall because they were rebadged. I've calmed him down now & he's having a look for a reconditioned engine & probably a cup of tea.
I think my best bet is import, some parts of the world still appreciate microvans with tiny engines that topple over in very high winds & tight corners.

Thanks again Dan!

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:01 pm

These guys are near me, could try them. http://www.bedfordrascal.com/index.html
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Anton

Post by Anton » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:54 pm

If you can't find one anywhere else - India. Maruti Suzuki only stopped making them in 2003, I believe.

There was some talk on here a while ago about fitting a F10D in place of an F10a, Jay was looking at it I believe but he ended up selling the 410 and buying a grand vitara. Are there any modern equivalents of the F10a that would fit? A K series, for example?
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

united1
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by united1 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:01 pm

I bought an F10a for my sj410. There are some parts that are not the same. If you want any of the extras I have , let me know.

united1
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by united1 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:03 pm

Are talking about a van similar to this?

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:33 pm

Anton wrote:If you can't find one anywhere else - India. Maruti Suzuki only stopped making them in 2003, I believe.

There was some talk on here a while ago about fitting a F10D in place of an F10a, Jay was looking at it I believe but he ended up selling the 410 and buying a grand vitara. Are there any modern equivalents of the F10a that would fit? A K series, for example?
Only modern equivalent is the f10d

K series have a different bell housing pattern as far as I'm aware.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

sherrifrob
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by sherrifrob » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:44 am

Thanks United1 I'll definitely drop you a message for odds & ends as soon as I know what I need.

I've been onto Tim (bedfordrascal.com) & he has been super helpful. Legend of a man.

I'll give India a go, the one I found in China wasn't quite right which is a disaster waiting to happen. It's probably one of the later versions for the vit or jimny.

Tim recommended a company called VEGE for possible reconditioning. I can't find anything on how interchangeable the F10D is for the F10A or the k series. It seems that nothing else fits easily.

If the rest of the van wasn't so tidy I'd get rid of it & get something that handles better....like a shopping trolley.
Attachments
rascalI.JPG
rascalI.JPG (315.24 KiB) Viewed 13056 times

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:54 am

As far as I'm aware the f10d shares the same block, it's just been modernised with a different head and fuel injection.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!