how heavy and what winch?

Anything Suzuki related, but not technical, it goes here!
Henry
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Re: how heavy and what winch?

Post by Henry » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:35 pm

9-12000 should do the job

Henry
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Henry » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:56 pm

How heavy...

No more than 150 kg.

ROBBIE
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by ROBBIE » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:40 am

i got a 6000lb champion winch http://www.winchsolutions.co.uk/index.a ... 0&catid2=5 top 1 been a good winch got me out of trouble more than once :lol:
Sid James gone but never forgotten
Jimny 1.6 not as good as an SJ but still good

Henry
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Henry » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:00 am

The only time i have been "stuck" and i mean Stuck a 12000LBS winch wouldnt touch me with snatch block.

Its not a nice feeling when your up there with a mate who has a big truck who is stuck too.

When i got stuck in a wood at home my front wheel was against an overturned tree route. There was no way it was going to come out forward, and there was no way that the guy who came to help me could get behind me...

Had to be pulled out with the arm on a hymac. :roll:

Why go to all the effort of making a winch bumper, fitting it making sure it is secure and welded to the chassis rails and only putting a 4000lbs on there?

I think you will find that a 4000LBS winch would be a good back winch (IMHO), but for the front i would say you need a lot more. If you get stuck in some wet thick mud the suction will be well over what a 4000LBS would handle.

I would say that a 90000 should be absolute minimum on a modified sj.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:47 pm

8/9000lbs is ideal in my opinion, a 4000 will get you out of most places though!

I have a 9000lbs winch sat in my workshop. one day i'll fit it but i dont really want the extra weight on the front of my suzuki so it's going to go in the back! it's easier to winch yoursef out backwards (where you had traction) than it is to drag yourself through all the shit you have got stuck on! however i'm tempted to do a vector winch set up????
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Henry
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Henry » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:56 pm

i had a whole spare 4 hours in college today :roll: was looking around for you, there seems to be some good prices in the 9500 department 8-)

Scottie a vector winch (if we r thinking about the same thing? what rockwat runs?) is a good idea. id imadgine a lot of work to a standard sj, but with 1 winch rear mounted you could have 2x its pull on the front :twisted:

muddy kev
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by muddy kev » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:18 pm

hi, i have a 9000 lbs winch on the front. and a 4500 lbs winch in the rear.
only been stuck once where i couldn't get myself out and believe me that was proper stuck.
took a disco with a hydrolic winch and a diahatsu with a 14000 lbs electric to get me out!!1

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:13 am

winches are one thing that you really get what you pay for. some of those cheaper winches have far inferior internal components and seals to keep all the shit out and i personally would rather spend the extra on something proven to be reliable as it will be cheaper in the long run. if you are patient yo can pick up good winches for a good price, I picked up a britpart 9000 for £150ish i i remember correctly.

my mate runs a winchmax 12000 on his 90 and has needed to rebuild it once already as it stopped working after one too many dunks in deep muddy water.

champion and Tmax seem good for the price, britpart seem good from what i have seen but i haven't run mine so that's not personal experience yet!
come up winches are often highly rated as reliable winches as well as the usual warn and superwinch

just shop around and i'm sure you'll find a good winch for the money you have :mrgreen: and the main way to keep any winch reliable is to look after it well :mrgreen:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Tramp
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Tramp » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:31 pm

personally I always fancied a warn 8274

If i was after a winch i'd be saving for this!