Project Bodge

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
Henry
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Re: Project Bodge

Post by Henry » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:50 pm

Sooooo cool.....

Henry "really wants new lift springs" Cureton

w1ldstar
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by w1ldstar » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:10 pm

dam, looking good there
Suzuki Vitara - 1.5" Suspension lift, Bits4Vits Recovery Bar, Roof rails, Steel front diff.
Drives Shafts broke to date: N/S = 1 - O/S = 0

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:34 pm

sweeeeeeeeeetttttt! :mrgreen: I like it! I like it alot! :mrgreen: to limit the steering just space out one of the bolts on the back of steering knuckles with a few washers, you'll see which one i mean as it should ht the axle case when the wheel is off and you are at full lock!

As for a rocklobster, IMO it's best to get yourself a 410 and 413 box and send them off to rockwatt on the difflock/muddyzook forums. that way you know the gears will be cut and welded perfectly and they will last! I wouldn't trust some of the rocklobsters on ebay as they could be built by someone who hasn't got a clue what he's doing plus the fact people want too much for them most of the time! Rich will build you a complete box with all new seals and bearings (IMO the best thing to do) or just cut, machine and weld the gears for you so you can rebuild the box yourself and save a bit of cash (not much though as rich does a good price on refurbed cases :mrgreen: )

Oh i cant wait for my lobster to come back from Rich :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Scott

Oh and lets see your flex boyo!!!!!!
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Henry
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Henry » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:09 pm

Massive ebay find (See below)

Still cheap at that price

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... _500wt_949

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:31 pm

Ok that one's pretty darn cheap, but you still you don't know how the gears have been machined,there are a few ways of doing it and the only way I trust is the way that Nigel head and rockwatt do them. They pin them instead of 'castleing' them! If the gears aren't done right they might not last that long, might be worth the risk if it stays under 200bucks though?
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Henry
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Henry » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:52 pm

It makes the truck so much usable both on and off the road.!

Ive known people do the gears themselves...

It lasted 3 years with a 1.7td through it...

Ive seen gears with 400hp being welded together going in a tractor gear box... saying that the bead was an inch thick!

And thats still going 2000hrs of abuse later

ferris
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by ferris » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:17 pm

I did see that one on ebay. I would have had a bid, but it was way to far for me to travel. Sold quite cheap in the end tho.

I may just have to get a 410 box to use for the time being, and get a rocklobster when i can at a later date. Does rockwatt make rocklobsters for anybody?
86 SJ413 tin top, 1.6 8v, SU carb, YJ spring conversion, virtual lift, 33x12.5x15 KL71's, rocklobster, rear discs, power steering.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:38 am

Yeah I do get what your saying Henry :mrgreen: obviously if they have been welded well they've got a good chance of lasting a long time. It's just you can't see how well they have been done with all the ones on ebay without internal pics. I'd just rather be safe in the knowledge that I know the workmanship is top notch myself than spend loads of money on a bit of a gamble! :mrgreen:

And yeah Rockwatt will do them for anyone, sometimes there is quite a waiting list though. If your interested i'll check with him that its ok to give you his phone number.

Scott
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

parrotveasey81
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by parrotveasey81 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:08 am

another thing with ebay or anywhere for that matter unless you cheack how many turns of the in to the out you dont even know if it is a rocklobster??
i have 2 410 box's here

ferris
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by ferris » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:44 pm

Yeah im definitely interested in getting one done, but wont be right away as i need to get hold of a 410 box first. Plus i need to get my sj back on the road asap, as the clutch has gone in my scooby so im currantly driving round in a mk1 998cc nissan micra :lol: :lol:

Parrot, if your interested in selling one of those t-boxs let me know :mrgreen:
86 SJ413 tin top, 1.6 8v, SU carb, YJ spring conversion, virtual lift, 33x12.5x15 KL71's, rocklobster, rear discs, power steering.