Starting to CRUMBLE!

New to SCUK.co.uk? say hello, give us an idea of who you are, and show us a pic of your pride and joy. were friendly and wont bite!
stimpy
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: Starting to CRUMBLE!

Post by stimpy » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:25 pm

Thanks lads!..

I will continue with my non searching intense searching! hehe...

And yes, i like the jimny. I think it could have regular family use also where a modified SJ is a one trick pony really - and generally not that warm!. Sad times in this age...

That said, i remember taking some OAPs shopping in the rear snows of 2010! I had to get a step ladder to get one of them in! Pulled out a good few cars that winter too :-)

Anton
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by Anton » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:47 pm

:welcome2:

Love Jimny's, I would like to get one eventually - my issue with them is the axles aren't built as well as SJ ones (weaker welds, the whole rear axle sometimes snaps in half, also weaker halfshafts, and the t-case chain, and and...)

If I do get a Jimny, it's likely to be a second offroader, and only if/when I move out of London.
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:51 pm

My Sj had always been nice and warm even with the soft top.

Also drives pretty nice even on the big tyres.....power steering and decent springs make all the difference.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

zook123
SCUK Addict
SCUK Addict

Post by zook123 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:36 pm

Love my Jimny. Cold. Wet. Uncomfortable. Dead right knee where it hits the door. Seats don't go back far enough. Pain in the ass at the moment, but wouldn't get rid!
2002 Jimny O2 Ragtop
Safari Snorkel, Freewheeling Hub Conversion
Diff Breathers, G/Box and T/Box Breathers, 2in Suspension Lift
HD Recovery Points and Winch Plate
Kuhmo KL71 MT / Goodyear Wrangler AT

Wessex 4X4 Reponse - WE411
wessex4x4response.org.uk

stimpy
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by stimpy » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:16 pm

Well lads....

I finally crumbled!..

After much deliberation and pained with the factor i just don't have time to build my ultimate lwb SJ i went for a Jim Jimny. Picked it up this arvo / evening, will have a better look tamara...

Currently on 33s 15 x 10j, 4" suspension with 1 3/4" body lift - castor correction , adj panhards etc. KAP f/glass front end for me to fook...

In the dark with lashing rain on the way home on the motorway i noted how it felt frankly dangerous,wandered, damp, stinky and had the most asthmatic engine i've ever experienced! But not once did my six year old and I stop grinning inanely!!

Great to be back in a Zook of some kind. :doublethumbs:

stimpy
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by stimpy » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:34 pm

Well, had my first day out in it today...

Sadly not for very long.... Half shaft break within 40 mins... Not very amused.

I know the general consensus is that the front axle on Jimnys is delicate and certainly not helped by larger tyres but this really was a joke. I can only presume they may have seen some decent action before and perhaps this was the final straw, certainly none of my SJs i've had over the years would have broke. And if not then the Jimmy is certainly not suitable for me...

I'm now debating wether to go with upgraded items or try another standard set to see if that was bad luck.

On another note, i was absolutely shocked on saturday when i had a moment to look the vehicle over with the design of the radius arms and their path on the front axle, they literally bend down further below than the diff!? We end up loosing at least another 3" of ground clearance due to that let alone what we loose to the diff connection area... Hmmm. Poor design.

Spent the rest of the day riding round 4 up in my mates £200 discovery bouncing around, clearing most stuff and rescuing all sorts of carnage....Not a fan of Discos but you can certainly see why they are pretty much the most popular choice.

Still love Zooks, just a bit annoyed....

stimpy
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by stimpy » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:40 pm

Well, just wanted to update this...

The Jimny - or the disgrace as it has been named is still sat there broke but been bumming around in it in 2wd for a bit.

In the end i opted for some upgraded shafts, went with the Trail Gear ones and upgraded cvs whilst i was on the spend. Went with the 26 spline option and have some replacement spiders to change out in the diff - hopefully get that done this weekend so i can go play again the following weekend..

Also, just as i was about to order a 4.16 transfer box up popped a 6:1 so that will go in within the next couple weeks too all being well....

Hopefully the next play will be more fruitful! lol...

Bet the rear shafts next :bawling:

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:33 pm

Rear shafts should be fine only the bearings that go usually but I think they are quite cheap
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

zook123
SCUK Addict
SCUK Addict

Post by zook123 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:46 pm

£40 for a pair! Blueprint Parts all the way!
2002 Jimny O2 Ragtop
Safari Snorkel, Freewheeling Hub Conversion
Diff Breathers, G/Box and T/Box Breathers, 2in Suspension Lift
HD Recovery Points and Winch Plate
Kuhmo KL71 MT / Goodyear Wrangler AT

Wessex 4X4 Reponse - WE411
wessex4x4response.org.uk

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:45 pm

zook123 wrote:£40 for a pair! Blueprint Parts all the way!
shame blueprint bearings used to last me maybe 6 months if i was lucky :hahaha:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!