4WD not working at all

Starts at the flywheel, ends at the hubs, any problems along them lines, ask your questions here.
bootsie
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

4WD not working at all

Post by bootsie » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:35 pm

im quite new to all of this but the easiest option was to check the free wheeling hubs? so i havnt taken them both off. one was quite clean inside and came off easy once i too kthe circlip out. the other after i had removed the first 6 bolts was stucks with the spring and some thick lack nasty looking oil leeked out. i got the front off in the end but half of it is stuck in the hub stilll.

the hub that looked quit clean and came off easy i tried to spin the shalf it came off of and its spins smoothly but the one that had the thick gunk come out of it sounds nasty and dont spin to well at all.

what does this mean and how should i go about fixing it?

will go back down to where it is shortly and take lots of pics

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Re: 4WD not working at all

Post by twiss » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:21 am

Sounds to me like you have a knackered wheel bearing and/or oil seal on that side...

From the sounds of the gunk, your axle oil is probably water contaminated. You might not notice the bearing gone with the hubs on free...

Defo get some pics, as there are many different types of gunk ;)
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

Tramp
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Tramp » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:26 am

because the wheel hub only has grease in it, it can go horrible and gunky when your wheelbearing is failing, it gets hot and sort of emulsifies and gets nasty in there, its dead easy to change the front wheelbearing, and you can inspect your cv while your at it, so you can narrow down where your problem is

bootsie
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by bootsie » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:17 pm

got some pics uploading now!

it is a easy fix if the oil seel has gone and the wheel bearing? i''ve got a spare complete front axel off my old 410 wouldbe be easier to swap them?