non starter..blowing thro carb?

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
zukisj
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Re: non starter..blowing thro carb?

Post by zukisj » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:55 pm

thanks..if i set the timing up wrong,would i be able to start the engine?i went out to my sj today and nearly got it goin but the distributor bracket broke...just waiting for one to arrive..hopefully!!then it should be good to go...just gotta get the welding and stuff done!how easy would it be to re wire the vehicle....garage job or can it be done yourself?cheers.

zukisj
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

cutting out with foot off pedal

Post by zukisj » Fri May 06, 2011 9:41 am

hello there...ive got another problem now...my sj seems to cut out when i take my foot off the pedal...also the revs seem slow to pick up when you press the accelerator so any ideas would be appreciated..thanks

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Fri May 06, 2011 1:16 pm

Hi there matey

Have you fine tuned the timing with a timing light now and set it to 10 degrees btdc?

Also are there any split vacuum pipes or any missing? or any unused vaccum points thats have not been blanked off?

With regards to re wiring the whole vehicle is that just the engine loom or everything? it's not too hard just very time consuming :thumbdown: why do you need to?
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

zukisj
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by zukisj » Sat May 07, 2011 1:53 am

im not sure if i need to do the whole truck but some of the lights dont work with new bulbs in them...i just thought i could i could follow all the wires n replace them...how wrong was i!!i took the plastic off around the steering wheel and put it straight back on...too many wires!!....but heres one for you..how easy is it to replace the axel seals yourself..bear in mind this is my first time trying to do up a vehicle...and i dont have any mechanical experience..just got a haynes!!cheers!

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Sun May 08, 2011 10:59 pm

Let's just say nothing is rocket science on an sj, which seals are we talking about anyway? Swivel seals? Halfshaft Oil seals? Diff pinion seals (these are the only hard ones to change) all the others are quite easy to do, if the rear halfshaft oil seals have failed then chances are there is excess play in the rear wheel bearings and they need to be changed too.

Which lights are you having problems with? Headlights? Indicators? Rear clusters? If its the rear clusters then have a look at this clicky with all the others check/undo all the earth and clean them up etc.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

zukisj
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by zukisj » Mon May 09, 2011 11:06 pm

hi..yup it is the rear clusters...and as for the seals im not actually sure..the guy i brought it off just said that there was two axel seals in the bag cos he thought they needed doin!!i will have a look tomorrow and update you...thanks.

zukisj
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by zukisj » Sat May 14, 2011 7:19 pm

hi again...YES!....got my zook running today...but it cuts out if i dont keep my foot an the accelerator..and the push switch doesnt work..i have to start it by touchin the main battery wire to the little male connection on the starter solenoid??does this make sense to anyone?!i was wandering if any one could put a picture up of what a wired up starter on a 410 should look like...would me much appreciated..thanks.

zukisj
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by zukisj » Sun May 15, 2011 9:21 pm

got another problem now..always summin!there is a slight leak coming from the bottom bolt on the distributor bracket?it smells like fuel..should there be rubber washers on this?or should there be a gasket or o ring put in where the bracket goes fits onto the cam?thanks for ya help.

Henry
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Henry » Sun May 15, 2011 9:29 pm

Thats Oil and is a common problem for the O ring inside the dissy housing to fail.

Most choose to put up with it, when i looked into it i couldnt get the O ring that seals around the cam :S

Not a big worry if you can put up with it ;)

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Mon May 16, 2011 1:49 pm

zukisj wrote:hi again...YES!....got my zook running today...but it cuts out if i dont keep my foot an the accelerator..and the push switch doesnt work..i have to start it by touchin the main battery wire to the little male connection on the starter solenoid??does this make sense to anyone?!i was wandering if any one could put a picture up of what a wired up starter on a 410 should look like...would me much appreciated..thanks.
right so its a 410 eh! perhaps your idle is set too low? or the Fuel stop solenoid is not wired up to an ignition live?
410 carb.JPG
410 carb.JPG (547.22 KiB) Viewed 5934 times
zukisj wrote:got another problem now..always summin!there is a slight leak coming from the bottom bolt on the distributor bracket?it smells like fuel..should there be rubber washers on this?or should there be a gasket or o ring put in where the bracket goes fits onto the cam?thanks for ya help.
you can get a gasket for the dizzy case from suzuki, or you might find one on ebay, whip the dizzy cap off, mark the rotor arm, unbolt and fit new gasket, re-fit making sure the rotor arm is back where it was!

If its oil the fact it smells of fuel isn't too good though! whip the dip stick out and smell the oil just to be sure its not contaminated with fuel! Chances are it's the diaphram in the fuel pump gone as the fuel pump is bolted to the dizzy case and the push rod for the fuel pump runs into the case and is driven off the cam :thumbup: if its a diaphram in the fuel pump, it could also have something to do with your sj not running at idle possibly?
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!