Starting/ warming up

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
mathewh11
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Starting/ warming up

Post by mathewh11 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:20 pm

started my sj this morning and it took atleast 20mins before it ticked over at 1000rpm ticks over at atleast 2000rpm or more before this.
i also have to pump the accelerator about 10 times to get it started.
just wondering if all sj's are a pain to get started and warmed up or mines just a bigger heap than i thought :thumbdown:
Thanks matt...

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: Starting/ warming up

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:36 pm

Is it a standard 413 carb?

Sounds like your choke idle is a bit high and needs adjusting. Also you shouldnt need to pump the peddle that much, I never pumped mine before starting it, just gave it a little bit of throttle as it starts, they don't like really cold mornings and can take a while to run nice.

Shouldn't really take that long to warm up either, is there a thermostat fitted?
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:49 pm

I'd say 20 minutes idling is a reasonable warm up time... if you drive it straight away it will warm up a lot quicker!

Definitely the auto choke on your carb I would say. It's a well know problem area on SJs and some Vitaras.

The carbs seem to just break at around 70k miles!

It was horrible when mine broke, sometimes it would get stuck with the choke in 1 place... burning a ton of fuel, idling at 3,000rpm...

Then other times it would get stuck with the choke in a different place, which ended up with the car overheating, and the engine would cut out as soon as you take your foot off the pedal...

Combined with the broken starter motor at the time.... PANIC!

Trying to brake for traffic lights at the bottom of a hill when you can't take your foot off the accelerator or the engine dies!
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

mathewh11
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by mathewh11 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:05 pm

ScottieJ wrote:Is it a standard 413 carb?

Sounds like your choke idle is a bit high and needs adjusting. Also you shouldnt need to pump the peddle that much, I never pumped mine before starting it, just gave it a little bit of throttle as it starts, they don't like really cold mornings and can take a while to run nice.

Shouldn't really take that long to warm up either, is there a thermostat fitted?
Are they easy to adjust?, mine wont have any of it if you don't pump it :er:
would be okay if i could drive it to warm it up but if i try driving it then it stalls or coughs and splutters!
starting work at 5 in the morning i can't really leave it warming up 20 minutes either :x
thanks matt...

mathewh11
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by mathewh11 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:12 pm

twiss wrote:I'd say 20 minutes idling is a reasonable warm up time... if you drive it straight away it will warm up a lot quicker!

Definitely the auto choke on your carb I would say. It's a well know problem area on SJs and some Vitaras.

The carbs seem to just break at around 70k miles!

It was horrible when mine broke, sometimes it would get stuck with the choke in 1 place... burning a ton of fuel, idling at 3,000rpm...

Then other times it would get stuck with the choke in a different place, which ended up with the car overheating, and the engine would cut out as soon as you take your foot off the pedal...

Combined with the broken starter motor at the time.... PANIC!

Trying to brake for traffic lights at the bottom of a hill when you can't take your foot off the accelerator or the engine dies!
Well mines done 106k and who knows when the speedo packed up :hmm: :hahaha:
how did you sort it? can you drive yours straight after starting or not?
the amount of smoke mine kicks out overheatings the least of my worries :roll:
thanks matt...

bigben
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by bigben » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:29 pm

my 410 starts fine in any weather with no choke just pump peddle twice turn key and brum just a little throttle needed till it warms a tad and it runs sweet, but it is very very slow untill warm

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:25 pm

That's because 410s have decent carbs on them anyway!!!

As for mine, I converted to SU carb. Best thing I've ever done to it to be honest!
Starts "on the button" every time now... even when its been sitting for ages

Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

mathewh11
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by mathewh11 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:59 pm

bigben wrote:my 410 starts fine in any weather with no choke just pump peddle twice turn key and brum just a little throttle needed till it warms a tad and it runs sweet, but it is very very slow untill warm
that's it rub it in :tongue:

Twiss, whats the su carb off? everyone seems to have them but not a clue where to get one or what cars people get them off

thanks matt...

turbo-tom
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by turbo-tom » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:50 pm

mathewh11 wrote:
bigben wrote:my 410 starts fine in any weather with no choke just pump peddle twice turn key and brum just a little throttle needed till it warms a tad and it runs sweet, but it is very very slow untill warm
that's it rub it in :tongue:

Twiss, whats the su carb off? everyone seems to have them but not a clue where to get one or what cars people get them off

thanks matt...

i belive its a su hif 44 carb , and they fittted them to , old rover metros , classic mini's etc , have browse on the worlds famous auction site flebay :lol:

maybe wrong though.... :lol:
Tom :)

Ford Fiesta ST :D

Tramp
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Tramp » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:57 pm

They were on lots of British cars, it is the hif44, you will need an adaptor to fit the Su (you will also have to adapt the air filter), when my original carb died I swapped it for a weber instead, it came as a kit and sloted straight on

I think there is an Su carb and adaptor in the 'for sale' section,

Cheers
Luke