No brakes

Starts at the flywheel, ends at the hubs, any problems along them lines, ask your questions here.
Smalljeep
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

No brakes

Post by Smalljeep » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:11 pm

A bit of a problem, when i press the brake pedal nothing happens, i dont see any brake fluid in the resivoir, but if i put more in how do you bleed the samurais brakes?
1991 Suzuki Samurai with 1.6 8v engine
2002 Peugeot 406 HDi 110 Executive

Darrell
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Re: No brakes

Post by Darrell » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:40 pm

First problem is -- Where has the oil gone :D

I would find the leak before anything else. Most of it is pretty basic to fix/replace.
2005-GV 1600se, "Hell" What do I know!

Smalljeep
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Smalljeep » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:01 pm

the thing is ive had the anus 2 years and never checked the brake fluid :oops:

but now ive been parking it in the garage i notice oil on the front right wheel so it must be coming out of there

dan_2k_uk
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by dan_2k_uk » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:12 pm

well it clearly cant be that bad a leak if its taken 2 years to come out :lol:

give the caliper a check over and see if its leaking from the hose connection, bleed nipple, or the piston itself. Also check over the hose and its connection at the top.

It should be pretty obvious once you get ender there and have a good look

Dan
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:40 am

yeah the front brakes are generally quite easy to service... watch out if you have to bleed them, the bleed nipple can sieze and snap off
(pain in the arse)
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

Smalljeep
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Smalljeep » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:24 am

I put new brakes and pads in the sammy today, the piston was very hard to compress, and the bleed nipple snapped off, though i rethreaded it and put a new one in:

The thing is the brakes are not fully bled yet, i can't get the drivers bleed screw off yet.

Christoff
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by Christoff » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:26 am

When the fluid is low you get a warning light so unless the bulb was out, you will have been running about with the light on well before it became a problem.

Basic rule of bleeding is always keep the pressure on the pedal when you tighten the nipple back up otherwise you will suck air back into the system

Smalljeep
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Smalljeep » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:47 am

Christoff wrote:When the fluid is low you get a warning light so unless the bulb was out, you will have been running about with the light on well before it became a problem.

Basic rule of bleeding is always keep the pressure on the pedal when you tighten the nipple back up otherwise you will suck air back into the system
The motor factors shop messed up the ordering of the stuff and i had to go a few times for the pads, and they gave me a bleeding kit the same as this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001 ... d_i=468294" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think it means that pressure doesn't have to be applied on the brake pedal, but if i have a leak then it will loose it out through that hole.
Out of curiosity how much would decent second hand callipers be?

Christoff
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by Christoff » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:52 am

Decent second hand callipers? Dont think there is such a thing tbh but i paid about £25/£30maybe even up to £40 for a pair of proven callipers in good condition, i.e bleed nipples not rounded off and brake pipes not siezed in.

Iv had a few sets of second hand callipers sent out to me but there always a mess and covered in mud, you dont know how long theyve been stood in someones shed for example.

I would always spend some time cleaning up callipers that you buy second hand, maybe replace the bleed nipple and make sure all the parts move and unscrew as normal, clean up all the threads and blow out the calliper with compressed air if you have access. Check the condition of the rubber seals and sliders, clean the sliding pins on a wire wheel and regrease them. Then change the brake fluid afterwards

Smalljeep
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Smalljeep » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:00 pm

I went to bleed at the brakes again, i used the device to do my mums clio not being too old and getting washed regularly helps bleeding :lol:
But the passenger side bleed valve on the suzuki keeps leaking so i think thats it wrecked, the drivers side one is seized in there, but then again my callipers are in quite bad condition, quite a lot of rust did come off with the wire brush.
Would anyone on here be able to sell me a pair of front callipers?