suspension lifting shackles help needed

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
joseph
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

suspension lifting shackles help needed

Post by joseph » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:47 pm

Hi Can any one tell me if I fit a set suspension lifting shackles to my SJ to lift it 2” will I have to do any more, like, longer brake hose’s, longer shocks, or prop shaft spacers, or steering cleome altering.. I’d be great full for any info…… thanks Joseph

liljitjit
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: suspension lifting shackles help needed

Post by liljitjit » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:11 am

Hi you might have to alter such things but I fitted 2 " extended with out any hassles apart from the fact they lessen your approach angles .

You may get more answers if you post in the suspension section too !! :lol:

hope this helps

rich
[/color]before you laugh at mine , take a look at your own![/color]

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:10 pm

Dont do it! lift shackles do more harm than good! I would just save up and either do a body lift or get some lift springs!

Just my 2p

Scottie J
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

lordyharmerz
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by lordyharmerz » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:08 pm

scottiej410 wrote:Dont do it! lift shackles do more harm than good! I would just save up and either do a body lift or get some lift springs!

Just my 2p

Scottie J
Do you mean standard lift shackles scottie?

as i wouldve said get a shackle reversle kit http://www.offroad-armory.com/suzukisuspension.html or a calmini,
you may want to add extended shocks, longer brake hoses.

Lifting the sj this way makes them (mine) twitchier on the road off road its cool though,

Spoa would be cool might try that when iv got more experience.

Kirkynut
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Kirkynut » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:19 pm

I say DON'T DO IT also, your springs will be flat in no time and will be really soft and knackered. The reduction in approach angle is silly also. I put some on and took them straight back off!!!

The bset way to lift and SJ in my view at the moment is to get KAP lifting springs and appropriate shocks and brake lines. I know it's more expensive but shackles are terrible and will have you reaching for the credit card anyway when your springs are dead.

The only other suggestion to get some lift would be to put on Add A Leaf's, which is an additional leaf that goes under the others on the springs and will have the effect of a small lift, probably one that will not need longer shocks or brakes lines also.

Have a look at the picture below I made up as a comparison of the approach angle, with and without extended shackles - I know one picture is bigger than the other but the angle doesn't change with size. The approach angle on the standard shackles is much better and it is a more capable vehicle with the standard shackles on!
Attachments
comparison.jpg
comparison.jpg (24.23 KiB) Viewed 10329 times

lordyharmerz
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by lordyharmerz » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:49 pm

The reverse lift is "supposed" to keep the approach angle almost the same? is this true, i got the calmini kit, that raises both ends of the leaf on the front?

muddy kev
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by muddy kev » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:31 pm

hi, i've got he-man leaf springs front and rear, added 2" shackle lift to raise body. it made the suspension so hard it was just about solid, no give at all. so much so it ended on its roof. thank god 4 the roll cage. i've now done a body swap(the old 1 was well rotten) gone back 2 standard shackles, but done a 2" body lift with 32mm wheel spacers and all is well again :lol:

4eye
SCUK Addict
SCUK Addict

Post by 4eye » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:38 am

I've got to highly agree with the guys...lift shackles are a hinder...i made a error and bought some 2"...and cant wait till i can get them off...!
spring lift is definately an option...requires a little graft(easier with the right tools!)...but gives the same lift without the drawbacks as stated above!

The only extra i've heard of with this is you may have to extend the rear shocks.

its better to do a job right than to do it half arsed!

As i've learned 1st hand!
ITS NOT LEAKING OIL...........SHE'S MARKIN HER TERRITORY!!!!!!!!

my ride.........:4eye:

+2 lift....grizzley boots is all i need!

liljitjit
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by liljitjit » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:45 pm

As weve all agreed shakcles are not the way forward. Lifting an sj doesnt really need to be done if your not going for bigger wheel/tyres Im going to go back to standard shackles and new lifted springs when funds allow.
[/color]before you laugh at mine , take a look at your own![/color]

Kirkynut
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Kirkynut » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:16 pm

With respect to a reverse lift, I think youmean mounting the front spring shackles at the rear of the spring rather than at the front.

This will solve the problem off road, but has the effect on road of making the vehicle shake like a very shakey thing and you'll not be able to use it.

Sorry, but STEP AWAY FROM THE SHACKLES!!!

Kirkynut