Suzuki Ignis Engine in a Sammi

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
Edweird
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Re: Suzuki Ignis Engine in a Sammi

Post by Edweird » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:56 am

Vorshprunk Dirk Suzuki
There's three ways of doing things:

The right way,
The wrong way
And my way, which is like the wrong way but faster.

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Ladaman » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:24 pm

Well I asked on as many forums as I know about, contacted lots of breakers on eBay with Jimny M13A engines trying to source a sump all to no avail. I even tried the local main dealer. That was a funny chat without a registration number!!

So I have started to make my own sump. I've never made anything like this before, and making it water tight was much harder than I expected!!

I chopped the original Ignis sump up keeping the mounting flange and the top 50mm (2"). Then using the remnants of a Strongbow box made a template, then got cutting in steel.

I still need to weld the flange on, make a baffle plate, adjust the oil pick up, before I can continue with the engine mounts, but progress is being made, albeit a it slower than I would have liked.
Attachments
Sump8.jpg
Sump8.jpg (617.22 KiB) Viewed 17487 times
Sump7.jpg
Sump7.jpg (598.26 KiB) Viewed 17487 times
Sump6.jpg
Sump6.jpg (661.76 KiB) Viewed 17487 times
Sump5.JPG
Sump5.JPG (1.9 MiB) Viewed 17487 times
YouTube
Ignis Sport 1.5 16V; Jimny gearbox, 410 transfer box; 5.125:1 Vitara diffs; rear Lockright, Rob Storr full float rear axle, rear discs, YJ springs, virtual lift, 31" Grizzly Claws, beadlock rims, +50mm LR arches, LED rear lights, LED roof spots, bucket seats, Luke harnesses, internal cage

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:20 am

That looks good matey! :thumbup: just make sure you take your time welding the flange on, last thing you want to do after all that work is warp it!,
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Edweird

Post by Edweird » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:02 pm

That sump is looking boss! Nice job.
There's three ways of doing things:

The right way,
The wrong way
And my way, which is like the wrong way but faster.

Anton
I spend far too much time on here

Post by Anton » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:16 am

Ladaman wrote:I even tried the local main dealer. That was a funny chat without a registration number!!
I've had this problem in the past. I used autotrader.com to find someone selling the same model/year of car I'd nicked bits from to get a reg, and gave them that.

Ebay might work too.
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Ladaman » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:33 pm

A major step forward has been achieved tonight, well I'm getting a little closer.

After a bout of "man flu" and finally getting some help from my son to line the engine up, which was a tricky job to ensure clearance in all the right places, and not having to mod the prop' shaft. I've finally managed to finish the engine mounts, and remove the engine from the block and tackle :lol:

I still have to fabricate something for the back of the gearbox, but that "should" be easy in comparison.

I might need to do a little mod to the sump as it is quite close to the front diff', but that's all part of the fun!!! :S

Below are a couple of pics of the mounts, I just need some slightly shorter bolts, and they should be finished. :smokin:
Attachments
photo (1).JPG
photo (1).JPG (1.72 MiB) Viewed 15552 times
photo (3).JPG
photo (3).JPG (1.82 MiB) Viewed 15552 times
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (1.83 MiB) Viewed 15552 times
YouTube
Ignis Sport 1.5 16V; Jimny gearbox, 410 transfer box; 5.125:1 Vitara diffs; rear Lockright, Rob Storr full float rear axle, rear discs, YJ springs, virtual lift, 31" Grizzly Claws, beadlock rims, +50mm LR arches, LED rear lights, LED roof spots, bucket seats, Luke harnesses, internal cage

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:05 pm

Nice work on the engine mounts matey, looks good :thumbup:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

dan_2k_uk

Post by dan_2k_uk » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:08 pm

Awesome. Get that rear mount done and get her running for a video!
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Ladaman » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:33 pm

Cheers Scottie.
dan_2k_uk wrote:Awesome. Get that rear mount done and get her running for a video!
Tell me about it!! I'm itching to get it running. I've got a crackin' exhaust lined up for it too :lol:

Lots still to do, but when I'm happy with the position of it all it should be a bit easier until the wiring!!!! :er:
YouTube

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Ladaman » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:32 pm

Well the gearbox mount is done now. As I thought it was pretty easy. If you remember back I made three machined rings for suspension bushes, and I was going to use the final one for the gearbox. While I was laid under the Zook I spotted the old gearbox mount still on the old Sammi box. Why not try to use that? All it required was the wedge cutting off the Jimny support, a plate welding onto it to make it 50mm longer, and re weld the wedge back on. Piece of cake.

I've got some DIY to do now for a week or so to keep the boss happy, so there won't be much progress for a short while :cry:

I can't complain, as she doesn't when I'm working / spending on the Zook

Plumbing next, water and fuel.

Getting there.
Attachments
Gearbox mount4.JPG
Gearbox mount4.JPG (1.73 MiB) Viewed 15315 times
Gearbox mount2.JPG
Gearbox mount2.JPG (2.37 MiB) Viewed 15315 times
YouTube