Wanted LJ80 - Steering tie rod lever

A place for all UK LJ owners to introduce themselves and for all LJ series tech and builds
Neil4x4
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Wanted LJ80 - Steering tie rod lever

Post by Neil4x4 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:53 pm

Hi, I'm currently finishing off my LJ80 restoration - does anyone have a steering tie rod lever - the bush inside mine has perished

Many thanks,

Neil.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: Wanted LJ80 - Steering tie rod lever

Post by ScottieJ » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:46 pm

Ill have a look I might do? One person who probably will is Abdul off the raging rhinos forum. I would actually try Suzuki as well, they do still have some Lj bits available.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

juncopartner
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by juncopartner » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:37 pm

They were always a problem on LJ's, but they usually seize up and oval the mounting holes in the chasis, I always used to remove the bolt every year and coat the bolt with copper slip. I seem to remember that someone in the LJ register had one rebushed at an engineering works, think they may have used a bronze bush, but it was a long time ago so not sure now!!!

I will have plenty of spare ones, but not sure what condition they are in though. Hope to have a look at Xmas as I am going to start with mine shortly and need to clear garages out.

Neil4x4
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Neil4x4 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:24 pm

Guys, thanks for the replies.

My lever has lateral movement when I pull or push a wheel (when jacked up). I suspect the bush has perished inside.

I've tried a worldwide search on Google to find a new one but to no avail to date. If I can't get a replacement, I'll try and get it rebushed after xmas.

Darrell
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Darrell » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:04 pm

If you guys mean part 17 I bet Mr Rockwatt could machine a bush to fit it. What material is it as standard? as I see it has seals on it.
Attachments
lj.jpg
lj.jpg (89.81 KiB) Viewed 10310 times
2005-GV 1600se, "Hell" What do I know!

Neil4x4
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Neil4x4 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:32 pm

Yep, number 17 it is.

I think the original material was (now past tense) rubber with a metal insert(?). I heard people mention rebushing it with brass, which sounds like a great idea. I just need to find a fabricator in the Basingstoke area.

Um, anyone??

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:30 pm

I did actually see one of these bushes new on eBay ages ago, have you tried calling a suzuki dealer?
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Offroadrunner
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Offroadrunner » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:28 pm

You can buy these parts new at the Off Road Shop in Germany. You have to bring some serious money...
http://www.gew24.de/index.php?cat=c752_ ... hebel.html
Groeten / Gruß / Regards / Salue / Salutare / Menyapa / 挨拶する, ]-[arold
http://www.offroadrunner.nl
http://www.suzukilj80.nl

juncopartner
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by juncopartner » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:34 pm

Any engineering workshop should be able to make a bronze bush, most big towns will have one, don't know about Basingstoke though. I live in the North East and there are still loads of engineering shops still around in spite of Thatcher trying to end all industry up here!!!

Priced a full arm up 25 years ago, think it was £79 + VAT back then, anyone know what they are now?

Just had a thought if you can buy them in Germany are they only for a left hooker????? They are completly different to the one on right hookers!!!!

Neil4x4
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Neil4x4 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:32 am

Hi guys, thank you all for your input; all very useful stuff.

My LJ is in fact left hand drive but I don't fancy paying £150 (ish) in Germany for a new one that doesn't look like my existing lever. So after much consideration, I've decided to rebush it myself, using a combination of the old bush insert and new rubber from axle bushes from my old MGB.

Failing that (which is probably the case), I've found a local company who will make a brass insert, acting as a bush but I'm a little worried about lubricating it, so not to make the steering stiff.

I'll let you know how I get on.