front diff

Starts at the flywheel, ends at the hubs, any problems along them lines, ask your questions here.
jhc121
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

front diff

Post by jhc121 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:58 pm

av just finished rebuild of my 410 , the only bit that we didnt changeof the donner truck was the front axle,because the half shafts wer better nic than the other ones in my old truck, but for some reason in4 wd it is as if i hav got difflocs in ,it seams very stiff , am just wondering if the diff is 1300 ,the doner truck had a 5 spd box, if so can i pull the diff out and put my old diff in on the half shafts, or culd it b that this axle has never seen any action and just tyte ,any clues would be helpfull cheers john :P

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: front diff

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:14 pm

Hi

was the donor vehicle a 413 if so have you fitted a 413 axle to the rear but left a 410 axle on the front??? if so it will mean that you will have two different diff ratios in the front and rear!!!! not good!!!! SJ413 has 3.727:1 and the SJ410 has 4.111:1 you will need to swap one of the diffs so that you have the same ratios in the front & rear, I think diffs are interchangable between the 413 & 410 axles!

If this is the case what you are getting at the moment is transmission wind up, as the t-box hasn't got a centre diff in it! this is very bad for the t-box and could break it pretty quickly! it is safe to drive in 2wd as you are but not in 4wd! also never use 4wd on tarmac even if you do have the same diffs fitted front and rear as this will also wind up the transmission!

Scottie J
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Tramp
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Tramp » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:26 pm

as scottie said, make sure your not using samurai bits as the axles are longer thus using longer half shafts (and a different ratio diff!)

jhc121
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by jhc121 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:59 pm

yep definatly not sami bits ,spoke 2 last owner yesterday and he said it was a 410 so am going 2swap rear diff at week end ,its the mate 2 the front diff wen i got it,back being easer than the front ,well in therry :roll:

jhc121
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by jhc121 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:43 pm

oh well so much 4 theores, thats that one out the window ,went 2 change rear diff thinkin it would be qwicker,my diffs crown wheel has 42teeth and is a lot more beffier than the one i was going 2 put in and only had 37 teeth, altho the half shafts fit the overall size didnt match the bolt hols, so idont no wat diff is were :x :roll: , so ile have to pull the fronnt axle out this week , ho happy days :lol: :lol:

urbanzook
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by urbanzook » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:21 pm

hi one out off the blue are you bens mate ben with a black sj 1.6?
DONT FOLLOW ME YOU WONT MAKE IT !!!
SEE WOT I GET UP TO CLICK ME!!!!

urbanzook
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by urbanzook » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:22 pm

hi one out off the blue are you bens mate ben with a black sj 1.6?

urbanzook
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by urbanzook » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:06 pm

you cant fit a 410 dif in 2 a 413 axel, 413 are interchagabel as long as is sammy for sammy or sj for sj.
as scotti says about the different diff ratios a sammy is even hire than a sj.
also the half shafts are bigger in a sammy, but sj an 410 half shafts are the same as sjs.
also remember that most off are jeeps have in fix by others in ways we dont no, or understand.

if there was a five speed box more than likely a 413. so you have a 413 in da frunt right
you have a 410 rear axel an diff. put a 410 on the frunt thas axel an diff or put the 413 dif an axel on the rear.
if you are still running a 410 dont use the 413 difs.

a 410 has 42 teeth on the crown ring giving you a 4.111:1 (4.1 revolutions off the prop to 1 revolution off the wheels
a 413 has 37 teeth on the crown ring giving you a 3.727:1 (3.7 revolutions off the prop to 1 revolution off the wheels
an sammy hire

please corect me if im worng.

if you are bens mate sorry for messing you around the dif i give you with case an half shafts will work when you change the lot
it is a 413 dif an case. he did try telling me your problem but ova the phon things get messy best off luck