Another 1600 conversion thread

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: Another 1600 conversion thread

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:04 pm

I answered in your other thread, water pumps are the same so the fan bolts straight up :thumbup:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:12 pm

Yeah. Cheers for that scottie. I've confirmed i'll have it.

Any ideas for best adaptor plates? Cg motorsport?
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

justaddmud
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by justaddmud » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:31 pm

the other difference I found between the Carb and SPI was that the SPI head had no mechanical fuel pump, or in deed the machining holes to fit it, so you would have to use an electric pump.

My 1.6 has been rather crudly fitted with out an adapter plate simply by drilling the block to match the holes in the 413 gearbox :shock:

The other thing to look out for is the Sump, if you have a few inches of lift, you can use the vit sump, otherwise you have to get a 413 sump and mod the pickup pipe

well worth it all in the end though

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:11 pm

Im running +1.5" springs and same extended bump stops.

May swap the sump anyway. Looks like an easy enough job to mod the oil pickup. Stops it being so vulnerable the extra couple of inches.

Cheers
Jordi
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:12 pm

When it comes to all the water pipes do the Sammi pipe all pretty much match up to the 1.6? Or am i best off swapping manifolds over?

Cheers
Jordi

dan_2k_uk
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by dan_2k_uk » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:21 pm

Fit the g13 water rail to the g16 and it will make the hose connection points sit in roughly their original locations so you can use all the original plumbing.

Use the g16 manifold unless you have a custom one from the g13 as it is slightly larger.

If you are running the SU on an adapter then it may foul the bonnet.

Dan
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:30 pm

In that case i'll get my 1.6 manifold adapted by rockwatt. Planning on taking a few bits down to him mid feb time.

Might aswell get as much benefit from the 1.6 as i can.

Jordi

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:34 pm

Engine confirmed. Had the seller on the phone and paid him a deposit!

Bring on the SCUK 2013 meet! At least now the drives where ever i go wont feel so painful. And hopefully a few extra MPG.

Gotta try and find another SU now. As my current 1.3 is such a sound motor i'm going to transplant that straight into my pickup.

Its annoying. Been just beaten at the last minute on SU auctions several times now!

Jordi

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:57 pm

Had to laugh earlier. I did a quote on partsgateway for an engine. Cheapest quote was £300. They e-mailed me again last night stating there would be the best priced of all the quotes i got.

E-mailed back stating id got complete lot for £60.

Response was something like "we are a licenced breakers not chumps". Didn't that that was really appropriate language to use to a potential customer. Tried these breaker websites a few times and they are all robbing b'stards!

Even my local breakers seem to be putting prices up sky high. Parts are no longer priced as secondhand, most seem to just price cheaper than new.

Jordi

SJ Greg
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by SJ Greg » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:06 pm