New Swindon Member with a problem

New to SCUK.co.uk? say hello, give us an idea of who you are, and show us a pic of your pride and joy. were friendly and wont bite!
RallyeSportLee
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

New Swindon Member with a problem

Post by RallyeSportLee » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:45 am

Hi guys, I bought my first vit Friday evening, Bumped into a few of you yesterday (Sat) at Barbury Castle just on the out skirts of Swindon...I was driving the black vitara, Had a nice little run with you guys, even pulled one of you out lol...Anyway that evening I was back out in the vit and was out in this by way in Baydon, got into abit of a problem, 2 of the wheels jumped out of the ruts and i thought i stalled the car...Then it wouldn't turn over, checked everything, starter motor was just clicking, gash it a bash...still nothing, my friend checked the oil, he said it was only just showing on the dipstick....About a few hours later we got towed out by a friend and tried to bump it but still nothing....So now we are thinking oil starvion and the engine is seized? But I had no knocks from the bottom end, no oil light on dash, check engine or nothing....Engine temp was fine? One of my friends said there is a pin on the starter motor that sometimes locks and you can't turn it over? If the engine is a goner....What sorta price am i gonna be paying for a 1.6 8v lump? Anyone know anyone local to swindon with an engine for sale? Cheers Lee

Here's a pic of my vit who we call ''Tash'' for obvious reasons in the snow yesterday

ferris
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Re: New Swindon Member with a problem

Post by ferris » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:18 am

:welcome: to the club.

Have you tried turning the engine over by hand? Taking the starter out and see if it works when its not on the engine? I'm no mechanic but thats where i would start.

1.6 8v engines can be quite hard to find because all us SJ owners have been snapping them up :mrgreen: .
86 SJ413 tin top, 1.6 8v, SU carb, YJ spring conversion, virtual lift, 33x12.5x15 KL71's, rocklobster, rear discs, power steering.

RallyeSportLee
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by RallyeSportLee » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:50 am

not yet mate....Car is stuck out in baydon and in Swindon :(

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:35 pm

As ferris says turn it over by hand check if starter works out of the engine. If there was no loud bangs or smoke or the sound of metal meeting metal it doesnt sound like you've killed it.

Sounds like a dodgy starter if its just clicking. Get underneath and see if anythings been ripped off check all wiring. It may be a bad earth on the starter if its been in snow / water.

I just bagged a bargain 8v for £60. Every single other quote, maybe 5 or 6 was over £250.

Jordi
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

Darrell
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Darrell » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:37 pm

Welcome to the club.
As you had no warning light or Knocking I would like to think the engine has not seized. However I have no idea what may be causing this. Hope it's nothing too serious.
I'm sure your get more response when everybody's stopped playing in the snow (I did that yesterday :D )

Attachments
tash.jpg
tash.jpg (8.26 KiB) Viewed 6281 times
2005-GV 1600se, "Hell" What do I know!

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:13 pm

:welcome2: to the site matey! Good to meet you yesterday and cheers for the tow :lol:

As the others have said once you get it home I'd whip the starter out and try turning the engine over, 17mm on the crank pulley but make sure you turn it clockwise so you don't risk loosening the pulley bolt :thumbup:

It's a bit strange that it won't bump? Does it just lock up as you lift the clutch? Maybe something's broken in the drivetrain somewhere and you've got multiple problems?
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:36 pm

My Samurai won't bump. Tried it a few times. Sounds daft but the battery isn't flat is it?

If you're getting a loud click check the starter motor wiring, make sure its all tight and squirt the starter and the wiring, ignition system with WD40. Other water displaceing lubricants are available.

I'm not entirely sure but do they have clearance? If the cambelt snaps does everything mash up? Or just spin freely?
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:44 pm

They are non interference so if the cambelt goes or jumps some teeth just time it up, slap a new one on and away you go :thumbup:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:54 pm

Theres another possibility. Easy enough to check. Spark plug out and stick a long screw driver in the hole. As you turn it over the screw driver should move up and down.

If its been off roaded a lot the bell housing may just be full of crud.

Jordi

dan_2k_uk
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by dan_2k_uk » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:45 pm

Good to meet you Saturday mate.

I drove our whole route from Saturday again today and then carried on to that Baydon by-way but decided to give it a miss as I was on my own.

Hope you get her sorted!

Dan
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.