Virtual lift photos

fitting new seats? welding up arches? Painting your SJ? post your queries here
Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Virtual lift photos

Post by Jordi » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:03 am

I've done one set of virtual lift arches but they are rotten and won't cover my new tyres anyway.

So i have acquired a new 410 front end. It has some small rust and rot patches but isn't in too bad overall condition.

The plan is to cut it back to the indent all the way round and plate it upto the panel and then use rubber for the external wheel arch.

In order to try and make a tidier job of this than my current arches, body work not being my strong point. How has every body folded/formed the new innner arches?

Bearing in mind i'm not making complete inners, just patching the outside 2/3 inches.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

ferris
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Re: Virtual lift photos

Post by ferris » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:51 am

My dodgy welding is probably not the best place to get inspiration from but il treat you to a picture anyway.....
86 SJ413 tin top, 1.6 8v, SU carb, YJ spring conversion, virtual lift, 33x12.5x15 KL71's, rocklobster, rear discs, power steering.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:43 am

Very similar to mynold arches. Cheers bud
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

dan_2k_uk
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by dan_2k_uk » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:20 am

Look at my build thread. Pretty much the same as above except I flattened the inner behind the headlight rather than welding in a filler. Makes no odds either way though.

Cut round the bottom on the dimple and then cut the inner back to the part that is not curved downwards.

Just ignore the square behind the headlight untill you have the rest tacked to the outer wing and the parg of thd inner that lines up. Then just chop in that square and weld it up and slit the remaining bump to fold in.

I flattened out the battery tray too.
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

felstmiester
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by felstmiester » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:47 pm

My front arches was rusty. All I done was get a set of defender arches, cut them to fit, temp fitted em, took em off, cut the wings n rear quarter to just around half inch under the mark and patched with sheet steel where needed. Put the defender arches back on and under coated under em. Defender arches hide a multitude of sins lol.
1.5 ISUZU TD ENGINE. EXTERNAL ROLL CAGE. CUSTOM MADE FRONT & REAR BUMPERS. SAMMY AXLES. RASCAL REARS. RUF. WRX SEATS. FRONT & REAR WINCHES. SNORKEL. FRONT SPOTS & REAR FLOODS. TWIN BATTERIES. FULL WADING KIT. 8.5" WHEELS WITH GRIZZLY CLAWS. OH!!!! AND THE WIFE'S ROASTING TIN!!

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:58 pm

I think i may go with something similar to my current arches. Instead of bringing the steel all the way out to the edge of the tyre i'll just bring it out an inch or two and get some runber to bolt on to cover the tyres.