Painting

fitting new seats? welding up arches? Painting your SJ? post your queries here
HuwJones
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Painting

Post by HuwJones » Fri May 31, 2013 10:25 pm

So, soon i'll be repainting my SJ. But i haven't got a big enough garrage to spray, so i'm going for the hand painting. I know this sounds like a stupid question, but how do you hand paint? With a brush or a roller? Any tips or tricks that i need to keep in mind when i'm painting?
Many Thanks
Huw Jones
There's three ways of doing things,
1) The Right Way,
2) The Wrong Way
3) My Way.
2 & 3 are usually the same.

mk1joe
Winching along now
Winching along now

Re: Painting

Post by mk1joe » Fri May 31, 2013 10:37 pm

roller for all the big flat surfaces, gives the best uniform texture, and paintbrush for the little nooks and crannys, worked for me anyway. i read somewhere to thin the paint down a lot but when i tried this and used a foam roller it just bubbled and looked terrible and made me cry a lot. using the paint without thinners worked fine there was no problem.
this method worked for me anyway

ferris
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by ferris » Fri May 31, 2013 10:41 pm

I used a paint brush to get in all the gaps and a small foam roller for the rest of it. You can get quite good results with a roller. Most people are surprised when i tell them it is hand painted, untill they take a closer look and see the orange peel texture :lol: .
86 SJ413 tin top, 1.6 8v, SU carb, YJ spring conversion, virtual lift, 33x12.5x15 KL71's, rocklobster, rear discs, power steering.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:08 am

I've just test rollered a wing, quite impressed.

It'll never win any beauty contests but seems likes its taken well and is nice and even, just got that roller texture.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

HuwJones
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by HuwJones » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:07 pm

Thanks guys, is the roller texture / orange peel noticeable from a few feet away, or do you have to stick your nose against it to see it?
Do you think it would be as noticeable with Matt paint? I'm going for Matt Nato Green.

Click Here for Ebay Listing

I would think that 5 litres should be plenty?
Thanks
Huw
1) The Right Way,
2) The Wrong Way
3) My Way.

turbo-tom
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by turbo-tom » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:13 pm

5 litres is more then enough if your spraying my disco got sprayed in about 3.5 to 4 litres of paint and i ordered a 5 liter tin and got some left over!
Tom :)

Ford Fiesta ST :D

littlesammy
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by littlesammy » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:08 pm

huw jones , have i ran into you on another forum.,another suzuki forum or maybe the Mitsubishi lancer register.?
87 Samurai with added spice !

HuwJones
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by HuwJones » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:50 pm

littlesammy wrote:huw jones , have i ran into you on another forum.,another suzuki forum or maybe the Mitsubishi lancer register.?
I doubt it, i'm not a member of any other forum and i don't get paid enough to have a Lancer :cry:

Huw
1) The Right Way,
2) The Wrong Way
3) My Way.

littlesammy
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by littlesammy » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:42 am

HuwJones wrote:
littlesammy wrote:huw jones , have i ran into you on another forum.,another suzuki forum or maybe the Mitsubishi lancer register.?
I doubt it, i'm not a member of any other forum and i don't get paid enough to have a Lancer :cry:

Huw

Ahh well my son,there is a huw jones on another Suzuki forum,so I wll have to refer to you as Huw Tuw !!

This was my 2nd Evo,another one I should have kept but I get bored so easily!!!!

87 Samurai with added spice !

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:24 am

mk1joe wrote:roller for all the big flat surfaces, gives the best uniform texture, and paintbrush for the little nooks and crannys, worked for me anyway. i read somewhere to thin the paint down a lot but when i tried this and used a foam roller it just bubbled and looked terrible and made me cry a lot. using the paint without thinners worked fine there was no problem.
this method worked for me anyway
The bubbles do pop if its thin enough ;) depends on the paint you use as well. I always thin the paint down loads if I roller, it gets rid of that rollered texture.

And just don't forget, prep is the key if you want to get it too look good.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!