Oil Leak from Rocker cover.

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
JimNorman
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Oil Leak from Rocker cover.

Post by JimNorman » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:11 pm

I have a persistant oil leak on my 413 Samurai from the front of my rocker cover after the garage replaced my head gasket. They have tried three times to cure it without success. There is no point in taking it back, so I guess I must try and cure it myself.

Has anyone had this problem and are there any tips to give a good leak-free seal on the cover? Any help much appreciated. Ta

kiwizook
SCUK Addict
SCUK Addict

Re: Oil Leak from Rocker cover.

Post by kiwizook » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:22 pm

if it's just the rocker cover that's leaking, get a new rocker cover seal, and put it in. I've done this myself on a few vehicles now, and is a very cheap job that only takes half an hour.

I am however assuming the garage has done this too, but can't be sure. when you replace this seal, make sure to clean both surfaces properly, and check for any damage on the seal faces. if there are score marks or anything like that, put some liquid silicone sealant on these area's, and then put your new seal in. hopefully that'll do the trick.

hope you get it sorted
It's not a question of how much you spend on your suzuki, but when your money will run out

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:21 pm

Same as above. It might be as simple as a poorly fitted gasket.

Some silicone RTV usually sorts the job.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

turbo-tom
I spend far too much time on here

Post by turbo-tom » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:28 pm

Gasket in a tube good stuff :D
Tom :)

Ford Fiesta ST :D

JimNorman
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by JimNorman » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:39 am

Thanks, I will be doing it this weekend weather permitting (as my garage is full of junk, including my hard-top and a set of Vitara alloys) I think the garage services don't take enough care and fasten the cover down too tight distorting it, so will try a bit of finess and care, and hope for the best, as this is a most annoying problem.

JimNorman
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by JimNorman » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:16 am

Have just removed the rocker cover from my Samurai, what a mess, silicon sealer everywhere just plastered on, also gasket split. Took ages to clean cover spick and span. Ordered new gasket from Unipart on Friday afternoon, told will be there at 8.30am Monday, am impressed. Hopefully carefully re-assembling will cure leak.

Darrell
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Darrell » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:21 am

I had problems with mine when I let a garage work on it ( :tosser: *ankers).
I then fitted a new (suzuki,if it makes any odds) gasket after cleaning the joint faces perfectly.
I also put a smear of gasket sealant on both sides on assembly and it's been fine ever since.
I used this, which is available at just about every motorist shop..

Click Here for Ebay Listing
2005-GV 1600se, "Hell" What do I know!

JimNorman
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by JimNorman » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:18 am

I have cured my leak as you have by fitting a new gasket and smearing both sides lightly with gasket sealer and bolting the cover down lightly and evenly. The cover was fitted by the garage with the oil cap to the front which was not how it was originally fitted, and when bolted down was not aligned with the cylinder head, it was slightly moved back. So I have turned it with the oil cap to the back and it aligns fine. I used Halfords Copper Silicon Gasket Sealer which is not too thick and can be used sparingly. Checked this morning after a local run, all ok now.

turbo-tom

Post by turbo-tom » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:22 am

Thats an interesting garage to get it the wrong way around. Glad you got it sorted though! :thumbup:
Tom :)

Ford Fiesta ST :D