Hello from Bridgwater!

New to SCUK.co.uk? say hello, give us an idea of who you are, and show us a pic of your pride and joy. were friendly and wont bite!
LantzVantz
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Hello from Bridgwater!

Post by LantzVantz » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:14 pm

Hi Everyone, Ive been browsing the site for a month or two now so have decided to air a post to say Hello and tell you a little bit about my SJ.

She’s a Suzuki SJ 413, previously a fastback; She wears some MTs and some big shackles but thats about it in terms of mods.

Im unaware of her actual specification, she had been fettled with before she came into my possession, around 21 months ago. Up until recently, I have only maintained her (on the cheap!) doing welding for a previous MOT and replacing the clutch disc friction material and cleaning up the brake calliper pistons etc.

Ive had her off the road for just under a year now, the engine was about to go bang so I pulled her off the road and ceased to use as a daily runner to college. I have been tinkering with her as and when Ive had the time; it’s been a slow moving project but also requiring minimal funds!
She is now a 1600, running with the original inlet and exhaust manifolds; I used an adapter plate with a thickness of 12mm, bought from a well known bidding site, the only problem I have with this is that it moves the engine forward by 12mm and now an electric fan is a must!
Ive fitted an add-a-leaf spring kit and a fibreglass roof and rear section since being off the road, Ive also put in an electric fuel pump, as the Vit lump was single point Injection.

During her time sat dreaming of the plain, she started to revert back to original state of iron ore and required the body being lifted to repair the floor above the rear set of 4 body mounts and crossmember, thankfully the extent of work needed wasn’t all that bad after being stood up for so long.

As she stands, all that’s left to do is:
Radiator, Mounts and fit hoses
Starter Motor solenoid for QH frs590 skinny starter
Water pump pulley from vitara, and non p/s belt
RESPRAY! Any ideas/suggestions warmly welcomed - thinking military
For future: Bodylift, SPOA or coils, maybe even shorten rear to centre of rear arch with fibreglass fastback, and diesal power!!

Thanks for taking a peek guys!
Attachments
Most Recent Image
Most Recent Image
2013-01-26 13.53.43.jpg (661.08 KiB) Viewed 5668 times
1.3 engine removed
1.3 engine removed
2012-05-27 17.04.03.jpg (686.62 KiB) Viewed 5668 times
Salisbury
Salisbury
Picture 076.jpg (2.54 MiB) Viewed 5668 times
Vit 1.6 going in
Vit 1.6 going in
2012-12-06 11.31.09.jpg (614.67 KiB) Viewed 5668 times
Six Penny Handley
Six Penny Handley
Picture 055.jpg (2.4 MiB) Viewed 5668 times
Recent Image
Recent Image
2013-01-26 13.54.15.jpg (587.79 KiB) Viewed 5668 times

turbo-tom
I spend far too much time on here

Re: Hello from Bridgwater!

Post by turbo-tom » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:18 pm

Welcome looks like you got yourself a tidy sj! looks like you got a fair bit planed! if you go diesel power please dont go the vw diesel engine! :lol:
Tom :)

Ford Fiesta ST :D

LantzVantz
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by LantzVantz » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:22 pm

Thank You,Tom! Ohh No No No No No.. Im thinking the 1.5 pug 106 lump, modded, but nothing too crazy..that'll make it expensive! Do you know of anyone doing/done this convo with the LDV box? Ive not really looked into it as yet, its a long way off!

turbo-tom

Post by turbo-tom » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:30 pm

good man the vw diesels are gutless! pug all the way! i know the gearbox needs new mounts in a bit of buching of the tunnel aswell ,Also a LDV Pilot gear box. uses a hydralic clutch, so you will need to rig all that up if you do go down the hydralic root. Plenty info about it mate just need to find it and its hard on my mobile phone at the moment. :lol:

dan_2k_uk

Post by dan_2k_uk » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:31 pm

:welcome: looks a nice tidy little truck.

Bin those shackles and run it with just the add a leaf. They will kill the springs in no time and do nothing for performance or handling. It looks like there was space for the tyres in the first pic without them fitted.

Would have thought there would be space for the fan even with the extra 12mm. Is the rad pulled all the way forwards on its brackets?
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

LantzVantz
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by LantzVantz » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:43 pm

Awesome Tom, Id be keen to get some info, or any links to info that you know/may have?

Thanks mate, yeah I know, the shackles are 8.5" between centres!! It came with them on but Im hoping a Phantom_Worx will make me a set of drop link shackles once he's perfected his designs!
Im using the 1600 rad, which is a tight fit between the passenger side chassis leg and the steering box, so I have to make up some suitable mounts to fit. I will (try) upload a pic of the engine bay with the rad in place so that you can see the issue I would have if I ran original fan.
Cheerz

dan_2k_uk

Post by dan_2k_uk » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:50 pm

I am running an original fan with the vitara radiator so I know how tight it is but its was more tight side to side than it was front to back when I fitted mine. There are some variations in the radiators too so maybe yours is thicker or mounts differently.
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:08 pm

Welcome to the club. I just bodged my vit rad in with viacous fan. When i fit the new front clip i'm gonna make new brackets to bolt it to the slam panel at the top.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

turbo-tom

Post by turbo-tom » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:16 pm

I have bolted my top brackets in the slam panel as well.

There is this ive found although its the vw engine

http://www.tomsebooks.com/DieselSamurai.htm

or there is difflock link ( ill let you decide about what you think of that forum :lol: )

http://forum.difflock.com/viewtopic.php?p=226819#226819

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:44 pm

Hi and belated welcome to the club!
That SJ looks quite familiar... not so much the mods on it, but the reg plate definitely rings a bell
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."