suzuki samurai has no brakes please help....

Starts at the flywheel, ends at the hubs, any problems along them lines, ask your questions here.
suzuki-rob
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

suzuki samurai has no brakes please help....

Post by suzuki-rob » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:20 pm

hi all,
ive converted my Suzuki samurai to disc all around and its been working fine using samurai callipers all round. I wanted to keep samurai callipers on rear and put some vitara callipers on the front so i bought a set put them on and went to bleed them up and for some reason it wont build the pressure up to bleed them. the pedals just going right to the floor. almost as if its drawing in air some where. :bawling:

a few questions ive got to ask;.

does anyone think I might have to use a bigger master cylinder like off a vitara.

will a vitara servo and master cylinder fit a samurai?

im running lucus callipers on the rear of a Suzuki samurai and lucus callipers off a vitara

anyone with any info please get in touch any hep will be very much appreciated thanks Rob. :suzuki:

ferris
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Re: suzuki samurai has no brakes please help....

Post by ferris » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:58 pm

Are you trying to bleed them with the calipers on the car? The bleed nipple on the vitara calipers is to low so you need to take them off, put a piece of wood in them and posision them so the nipple is at the top. Then bleed them then put them back on.
86 SJ413 tin top, 1.6 8v, SU carb, YJ spring conversion, virtual lift, 33x12.5x15 KL71's, rocklobster, rear discs, power steering.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:50 pm

What he said ^^^^^ depending on the position of your rear calipers you might need to do the same with those as well ;)
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

suzuki-rob
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by suzuki-rob » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:43 am

thank you very much will have ago in the morning. ive changed the servo and master cylinder for a Honda civic 1.6 vtec one just because i had a civic going to scrap and it bolted right on no major mods. so if i undo one of the calliper bolts and spin the calliper so nipple is at the highest point and chock the piston with a bit of wood they should bleed up okay..

NylonAdmiral
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by NylonAdmiral » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:06 pm

I did this exact same job just the other day.

It took A LOT of bleeding in order to get all the air out of the lines so just stick with it.

By the way, there's something that might be worth checking. I'm using a combination of standard SJ calipers (front) and Vitara 8v calipers (rear), both on standard SJ discs. The SJ calipers are larger than the Vitara items and the pads have a larger contact area on the disc. If I were you I'd check that yours aren't similar or you could end up with better braking on the rear than on the front although to be honest there's probably not a huge amount in it.
1.6 16v, Rock Lobster, PAS, Muddyzook rear disc conversion, coated in Raptor, 33in x 10.5, heated seats, lovingly restored by Scottie!