410 Santana Gearbox knock and slight rattle

Starts at the flywheel, ends at the hubs, any problems along them lines, ask your questions here.
chan
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

410 Santana Gearbox knock and slight rattle

Post by chan » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:16 pm

sorry did i post this in the wrong section?

Hi there, i have just been laying under my sj while my brother was holding the revs about 3k trying to find a fault with the bottom end crankshaft bearing or big end bearings and it really does sound as though the knocking/slight rattling noise is coming from bell housing/gearbox more towards the bell housing though. and it also has the noise of a bearing going round sounding quite rough as if its the thrust bearing.

the thrust bearing pushes the prongs on the clutch to disengage the clutch from the flywheel right?

has anyone had a similar problem? its quite a loud knock! can hear it in the cockpit when driving so pretty loud!

thanks for any replies and advice!

chan
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: 410 Santana Gearbox knock and slight rattle

Post by chan » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:08 pm

just took the gearbox out and the throwout bearing is absolutely fine i think feels nice and smooth.

the bell housing is full up with oil and gunge but the fly wheel and clutch and nice and clean.

there is alot of oil and gunge behind the flywheel so im guessing crankshaft seal and crankshaft bearing are shot!!

sorry for the bad quality but you can see that there is alot of oil in there still lol

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:28 pm

yep looks like you might be on the right track there matey, just moved it to the transmission section for you too :mrgreen:

Scott
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

d86
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by d86 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:14 pm

its a shame you cant start the enging up without the gearbox in place.

tony :P

i had a 410 engint where the crankshaft thrust washers went once,now thats a funny noise.
every tine you put your foot on the clutch the crank moved forwards and back. :shock:

grab hold of the flywheel and see if there is any movement back and forth not up and down.(you may need to use a lever bar behind the flywheel to chack if there not that bad,).

chan
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by chan » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:48 am

thanks scottie ill pay more attention next time :roll:

i will give that a try mate i have tried by hand but not with a lever bar. got the engine out now so much easier. also the nearside engine mount was broken so that wasnt helping the knocking situation lol but its definitely the engine and not that.

cheers

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:06 pm

no worries, then again its turning back into an engine thread now :lol: :lol: :lol: we'll just leave it here because of the title :lol: :lol:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

chan
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by chan » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:52 pm

haha sorry well i have just felt the input shaft o the gearbox and theres slight play. is this normal or is my gearbox wrecked? it does work lovely though.