Samurai shell resto.

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
dazerede
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Re: Jordis shagging wagon

Post by dazerede » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:29 pm

Ok no worries well I need one for mine so I will have to make one my self
Suzuki Sj 410 Jap Built
Recaro Seats Fitted
Landini Blue Colour
Full rollcage and winch bumper
1.6 8v vitara lump with su carb
4” calmini lift kit :)
235/75/15 insa turbo special tracks
99.9% Rust Free
BUILT NOT BOUGHT

kiwizook
SCUK Addict
SCUK Addict

Post by kiwizook » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:37 pm

how are you going to take the body off? does the rollcage unbolt? or are you going to hack the cage off?
It's not a question of how much you spend on your suzuki, but when your money will run out

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:46 pm

Most of it unbolts, few cuts required.

It's a close fit to the body, I wouldn't call it a professional cage but it seems well built of decent tubing.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:16 pm

Been over and "inspected" it today.

It had to be bump started when I collected it. Swapped starters today and it started first turn of the key.

It was just full of rubbish so cleaned most of that out, need to remove the seats and pressure wash inside. Plenty of tread on the grizzly claws, one does have a split in the side wall but our tyre fitter says it can be repaired but won't be road legal.

Engine seems like a good un' starts fine, no excessive smoke. It does have an awful clank on the front axle which is either a cv/shaft/diff.

Gave it a drive round and gearbox seems good, 4wd works ok, other than front axle clanking. All the wheel nuts were on the wrong way round. Sorted that. Steering box leaks like a good un' and is vague to say the least.

All forms of brakes are non existent!

99% sure I'm breaking it, body does have some rot but doesn't seem half as bad as mine. Won't know fully till it's all pressure washed off.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:07 pm

DSC_0175.JPG
DSC_0175.JPG (2.37 MiB) Viewed 5379 times
DSC_0176.JPG
DSC_0176.JPG (2.69 MiB) Viewed 5379 times

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:23 pm

Been having a few thoughts on this. I have a few more bits to strip off it, most of which is going in my spares box.

Going to remove cage, windows, interior and wash it all inside and out, then roll it back into the warehouse and take the body off the chassis.

Fully cut out the rear arches and make new, including a virtual lift. Same for the fronts, including new inner wings. Cut the bulkhead as far back as I dare.

The sills seem ok but I am tempted to go box section sills for ease, ground clearance, and mainly, I like how they look. They also won't crease when I man handle it with a telehandler.

The rear lights will be recessed into the back door and run the loom through the cab.

I want fuel tank in the back but need to check how I have to cover it for fumes and leaks.

Swap it onto my chassis.

The cage seems well built and solid, but I dont know if I'm gonna re fit it, it's big, bulky, heavy, as much as it does protect the body work I think I'd rather have a good internal cage.

The bumpers will be for sale or scrapped. Tyres will also be forsale (4 x 235/75 Bronco grizzly claw), quite a lot of tread, one does / will have a major side wall repair though.

I am NOT putting a time scale on this, would be awfully nice to have it done for its next MOT.
Last edited by Jordi on Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

turbo-tom
I spend far too much time on here

Post by turbo-tom » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:30 pm

Regarding the fuel tank mate you can run the petrol lines through the cab, the petrol tank is bolted through the floor what ive then boxed the tank in with 3mm ali checker , then ive fitted a one way valve and a small little breather as the one way valve lets the petrol tank breath and if it was to ever roll over the valve shuts and stops all the petrol from coming out.
Tom :)

Ford Fiesta ST :D

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:34 pm

turbo-tom wrote:Regarding the fuel tank mate you can run the petrol lines through the cab, the petrol tank is bolted through the floor what ive then boxed the tank in with 3mm ali checker , then ive fitted a one way valve and a small little breather as the one way valve lets the petrol tank breath and if it was to ever roll over the valve shuts and stops all the petrol from coming out.
That means having a hole cut in the floor for the tank to sit in?

turbo-tom

Post by turbo-tom » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:42 pm

nope just bolted through the floor

Tom :)

Ford Fiesta ST :D

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:46 pm

Alloy aftermarket tank?

No issues with the filler cap being inside the vehicle for the MOT man?