a-frame

Anything Suzuki related, but not technical, it goes here!
rpats
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

a-frame

Post by rpats » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:12 pm

im thinking of making an a-frame, iv got some 48mm/3mm tube going spare that i was going to build a roll cage out of but i ended up buying one insted!
does anyone know or have some dimentions for me to work to?
alos where and how do i connect it to my sj?
i have had a look about for some sort of drawing on the internet but been unsuccesfull

any help or advice please

cheers rob :lol:
if its fast or dangerous

Give me a go!!!!!!

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: a-frame

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:56 pm

its illegal to a frame a suzuki they are too heavy.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

rpats
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by rpats » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:57 pm

i didnt know that? :oops:
im shure iv seen a tranny van on an a-frame
and there being sold on ebay spacificly for sj's

how strict are the police on this,
as i dont want to have to look into geting a car transporter/trailer. i plan on taking the sj around a few locations throughout the uk and dont want to drive long distances in it.

the a frame was my plan from the word go but it looks like a no go,,
boooooo :cry:
if its fast or dangerous

Give me a go!!!!!!

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:26 pm

Not gona endorse it.... But i do use a homemade a-frame. Never had any issues with the police.

I do use a 1800kg toyota to drag it mind so it looks ok. Not like im dragging it round behind a fiesta.

I spoke with a mate who works with hydraulics and he reckons it will be possble to make quick release couplings so the brakes will work. Im looking into this so i can tow my sammy with my vit.

Jordi
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

muddy kev
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by muddy kev » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:13 am

hi, u can't legally tow anything that weighs more than 750 kilos, (including the towing equipement) unless it has a braking system that works on all the wheels, has its own lighting and its own suspension. also as it is in contact with the road it should be mot'd and taxed.
when u tow with an abar u should have the steering lock off for better cornoring. this than becomes double articulated therefore classed in same cat as fair ground rides, u know when u see a truck towing 2 trailers. therefore u are legally limited to 40mph on duel carrageways and motorways 20mph on all other roads.
at the moment most areas the police cover checking these out and normally can't be bothered with the paperwork but this is changing soon and VOSA will be checking vehicles and correct usage, and they love paperwork!!!
it really is a mine field. best way get a trailer.
hope this helps.
cheers Kev

muddy kev
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by muddy kev » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:21 am

Sorry, forgot to mention, i know there r alot of young guys on this site. u need to check your driving licence as u may need to take another test to tow over 750 kilos. it depends when u pasted. its worth looking friend of mine just got done. :cry:

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:24 am

Not sure on that double articulated theory kev. Fair grounds are limited as they have 2 trailers. The double articulation makes no difference as long as its only one trailer.

Other wise it would mean wagon and drags could only go 40mph. Its just like pulling a trailer with a front dolly (talking trucks here). They follow well but are a bitch to reverse.

You can also get car trailers with a similar axle set up. Usually 2 rear axles and a front dolly. They tend to be more stable and dont snake as they dont rock under braking and aceleration

Think it was jan 97 for the licence change.

Hope that helped.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

muddy kev
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by muddy kev » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:58 am

hi, yep i couldn't agree more, but have looked into this in some depth. (for work and pleasure purposes of towing). and the test case of BAKER V ESAU (1972) crim LR 559 ended up in high court and they found that it it wasn't double articulated, but, and its a big but, only becuase the towed vechicle weighed less than 750 kilos.
i guess its a case of how lucky u feel.
there r lots and lots of very gray area's on this 1, and really the easist way is use a trailer, also that way u know u r legal and u know u can always get your suzuki home no matter how silly you've been :lol: :lol:

cheers Kev

ROBBIE
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by ROBBIE » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:18 am

a lot of ppl now use old transit recovery trucks
Sid James gone but never forgotten
Jimny 1.6 not as good as an SJ but still good

rpats
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by rpats » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:18 pm

i hear you but i simply carnt afford a trailer at the moment, and i have got the steel laying around so i may as well put it to use untill i can afford a trailer.

jordi... is there any chance you could put a pic up and possably some mesurments??? :pileon:

im not dissmising your comments and advice guys i just need 2 get out im me beast!!!
if its fast or dangerous

Give me a go!!!!!!