Hi!

New to SCUK.co.uk? say hello, give us an idea of who you are, and show us a pic of your pride and joy. were friendly and wont bite!
twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Re: Hi!

Post by twiss » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:20 am

Having a look at the katsastus, seems quite a lot like our MOT tests here!
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

Akseli
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Akseli » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:56 pm

It seems that lifting series which are bolt-on types are roadlegal but modicating the chasis permanently (say ataching by welding) will be a bit trickier, atleast that beeng the general opinion here around.

So i think, the YJ Spring kit like JP-Eater for Samurai could be mounted. Other thing is that will that fit on SJ:s, don´t know.

Most likely i will stick with the +40mm Oldmanemu springs with standard shackles when the time comes.
twiss wrote:Having a look at the katsastus, seems quite a lot like our MOT tests here!
So you do have also in GB an yearly inspecton called the MOT for roadlegal cars, what do they test in MOT?

Yes, we have this thing called "katsastus" every year with 5 year and older cars. Our "katsastus" includes OBD reading (if equipped), emissions, brakes, chassis, suspension, lights,... Shock absorver test for old car with rusty leaf spring is :)!
Snow is usually white and cold

Anton
I spend far too much time on here

Post by Anton » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:34 pm

twiss wrote:If the springs are slightly too long like then a longer shackle can help but keep the only make the shackle hole centers up to 100mm apart
Yeah would have to check on local regulations regarding the YJ conversion as you need to modify suspension mounts... I know the spanish are pretty hot on that kind of thing so other countries may be as well
http://forum.suzukiclubuk.co.uk/vi ... &start=110

You can make 'em bolt-on, like scottie - which shouldn't be illegal under UK rules.
Akseli wrote:It seems that lifting series which are bolt-on types are roadlegal but modicating the chasis permanently (say ataching by welding) will be a bit trickier, atleast that beeng the general opinion here around.

So i think, the YJ Spring kit like JP-Eater for Samurai could be mounted. Other thing is that will that fit on SJ:s, don´t know.
Scottie's YJ kit is bolt-on.
Akseli wrote: So you do have also in GB an yearly inspecton called the MOT for roadlegal cars, what do they test in MOT?

Yes, we have this thing called "katsastus" every year with 5 year and older cars. Our "katsastus" includes OBD reading (if equipped), emissions, brakes, chassis, suspension, lights,... Shock absorver test for old car with rusty leaf spring is :)!
The MOT is yearly for cars over 3 years old, and includes checking for rust in/near structural parts of the car (rust within 8 inches of a body mount, engine mount, brake servo mount etc is a fail) emissions, wheel bearing play, steering, brakes, emissions, suspension, seat belts, lights blah blah. It's probably almost identical to your tests.

I recently had a lot of fun getting my SJ through the MOT. :poke:
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:41 pm

Yeah anton, I know scotties is legal here but it probably wouldn't be in spain ;)
Worth checking to make sure but it sounds like its all good in Finland!

Its very similar to our MOT tests for the most part, but it seems a bit more relaxed than ours!
Twiss

'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

Akseli
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Akseli » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:59 pm

If i got it corectly, Scottie's YJ kit is his own production, not a serie which is manufactured by a company. The thing seems to be that you must prove the durability of the conversion and if you done it yourself, proving could be the tricky part. How that is precisely done, i have to find out and go and chat with the :mrgreen: "katsastus Jokers"!

If the liftkit is done in factory for car type you have, they should belive on that. Never cars (96->) liftkits needs some kind approvall example TÜV as well.
twiss wrote:Its very similar to our MOT tests for the most part, but it seems a bit more relaxed than ours!
About that i can´t say since i´ve never MOT:ed a car but those inspectors in Finnland can be quite picky here :pissed:

I have to admit that i haven´t writen so much enlish in ages, which undoubtedly can be seen in my text :D !

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:36 am

hahah dont worry about it!

if we tried to write in Finnish I don't think we could do any better ;)
Twiss

'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:21 pm

:welcome: to :suzuki: club UK

I would just throw some OldManEmu +40mm springs on and go from there, I don't think you really need much more than 2" lift and 30-31" tyres to have a reliable and capable sj anyway.

As for my YJ conversion, It's been fitted nearly 2 years now and hasn't had any issues :thumbup:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Akseli
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Akseli » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:19 pm

ScottieJ wrote:I would just throw some OldManEmu +40mm springs on and go from there, I don't think you really need much more than 2" lift and 30-31" tyres to have a reliable and capable sj anyway.
I agree you with that, most likely the +40emu springs are the weapon of choise, even though Christopher Walken isn´t dancing here :mrgreen:
ScottieJ wrote: As for my YJ conversion, It's been fitted nearly 2 years now and hasn't had any issues :thumbup:
I do not doubt that they wouldn´t work, just the minor :pissed: issue with the local "MOT" in Finnland.

Just for curiosity how much taxes you have to pay yearly? I have to pay for my SJ413 Highroof about 140€ per year.

donkeychomp

Post by donkeychomp » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:53 pm

About the same yearly tax price here for an SJ. It goes up the bigger capacity engine you have. Some cars are free if they are 0 emission.
If it ticks over...leave it

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:01 pm

twiss wrote:hahah dont worry about it!

if we tried to write in Finnish I don't think we could do any better ;)
I dont think between the top 20 posters on the forum we could even make a sentence.

MOTs over here vary on strictness from place to place. Based on how well they know us usually.

The big franchise/chains Halford, kwik fit, dealerships all tend to be by the book. Smaller independent / local firms tends to be a bit more generous / lenient depending on the issues.

Luckily for me on Saterday :hahaha:
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank