gv 2002 front brake calipers

All tech relating to the Suzuki Vitara that won't relate to any other models, Front IFS etc.
Ginger_boy
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

gv 2002 front brake calipers

Post by Ginger_boy » Sun May 18, 2014 2:58 pm

Has anyone had the same problem or is it me. Every year since i have had my gv I've gone over stuff before the mot just so that there are no surprises. Every year i have found that one or more or all the slide pins in the front calipers are seized or stiff. Every year i clean them up and cover them in anti seize paste only to find them stuck the following year. Today i had to take the caliper holders which have these pins and subject one of the to the oxy/act burner to free it up. Once they are all cleaned and de rusted and generous amounts of copper slip applied they work a treat. Is it one more thing that goes on the list of things to do on a gv.
It' a 4x4 why not drive it across a field

Darrell
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Re: gv 2002 front brake calipers

Post by Darrell » Sun May 18, 2014 11:21 pm

The only thing I can think of is that copperslip will bugger the seal/boot up and will then allow dirt in.
Rubber grease should be used on these pins as petroleum based grease will make the rubber swell.
2005-GV 1600se, "Hell" What do I know!

Anton
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Re: gv 2002 front brake calipers

Post by Anton » Mon May 19, 2014 8:57 am

Yeah, I use silicone grease, but my caliper rebuild was quite recent, so I'm not going to say that it was more successful than copper slip.

Besides, I don't have Vitara calipers fitted...
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map