Screeching Noise

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
rickpoland
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Screeching Noise

Post by rickpoland » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:18 am

HI there guys - another query from Poland

Had that problem with the starter before but now working fine - but after I got it reinstalled and starting again properly we have another problem.

You know that horrible SCREECHING noise you sometimes hear on other cars and always say 'thank GOD that's not mine' - well now it is MINE :!: . Always thought on other cars it sounded like a massive brake problem - but for sure engine related as only occurs when not braking.

Funnily it only SCREAMS for about 10 seconds when I start her up and then doesn't reoccur during normal driving. And also seems to be not so bad now it's getting warmer ! ! !

Also seems she is a little down on power - but to be honest we only ever got up to 100km going downhill anyway. But just does not seem to want to rev above 4000rpm in 4th or 5th.

Noticed when I reinstalled the starter that the oil was a bit low, so keeping a close check on that now but now apparent heavy oil usage or leaks - I assumed as it's somewhere inside that there may be a lubrication problem.

Any bright ideas or anyone had similar experience and knows what it is and what's the cure :?:

Cheers again as always :lol:
Still just standard SJ413 but love it just the same ! ! !

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: Screeching Noise

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:23 am

that would be your alternator belt i would imagine, you need to loosen the top bolt on the alternator and then use a bar/crowbar to pull and hold the belt tight, then just do the top bolt back up.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Tramp
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Tramp » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:03 pm

as scottie says, and you are probably right as the weather gets warmer the belt rubber gets softer and grips better! my alternater has a squeeky problem but that is from a bearing rather than the belt!

Luke

Henry
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Henry » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:31 pm

Pleanty of splurge (wd40) but dont over tighten the belt or it will slip.

dominic
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by dominic » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:53 pm

Hi Rick,

as everyone says, its the alternator belt is a bit loose for the screeching noise.

as for the oil, best thing is to degrease as much as you can then rinse with water or steam cleaner, you could use a power hose, but that not only messy , you have to be careful doing that. then its a case of carefully looking everywhere with a torch and kitchen towel.

sorry i havent found out the other question you asked me a while back , i had the info somewhere, im still trying to sort out my stuff.

Dom

8-)
Currently Drive
SJ 410 Q 1985 (GREEN)
VITARA GL+ 2017 (SILVER)

Did have a IGNIS SZ5 4X4 2017 (BLACK)
Did have a GRAND VITARA 2.0 TD 2002 (GREEN)
Did have a JIMNY JLX 2001 (RED)
Did have a SJ 413V 1987 (SILVER)
Did have a BMW320i 1984 (PETROL BLUE)