New to SCUK.co.uk? say hello, give us an idea of who you are, and show us a pic of your pride and joy. were friendly and wont bite!
ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: New Member

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:29 pm

Larry wrote:Thanks for all the replies :thumbup:

Going to look at one during the week so will stick up some pictures when I do.

The spec is exactly what I want but the price is a little unrealistic given the engine is not 100%.

Will keep you posted!
Just be very thorough in your hunt for rust and if it's already modified look for badly done mods. There are a lot of lemons out there.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Larry
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Larry » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:43 pm

Well I've been to see it.

Overall its in pretty good condition and well spec'd.

The only clincher was that it idles very badly, cutting out every so often both when cold and then later when warm. it even cut out once on the test drive.

The owner claims that it had been in storage until recently and ever since coming out the carb hasn't been quite right. its the standard asian carb on a SJ413.

Is this likely to be a problem or does it just need a bit of fine tuning. The carb itself seems to have been simplified having had a few diaphragms removed.

He's looking for 2k for the car and I feel that it needs to be running perfectly for this sort of money!

Anton
I spend far too much time on here

Post by Anton » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:18 am

The standard Aisin carb is notorious for causing trouble. You can rebuild the Aisin carb, but most of us don't bother - we swap it out for an SU HIF44 carb. Although if I were doing it again, I'd pop a webber on - you can buy webber kits complete for the same kind of money as the SU and the modified manifold, and the webber gives you better power, and maybe even better MPG's. Maybe.

The SU, once properly tuned, gives more power than the Aisin, and better fuel economy than the standard carb. When I took mine round the M25 to Donkeychomp's, and we went greenlaning, I got an average of 35mpg. That's local roads, motorway driving, trundling down dirt lanes etc - and mine is modified and on 31's. If it was standard, I think I might even manage 40mpg!!!

Mine is pretty well tuned though, thanks to a Colourtune kit, which I can't recommend enough! Also, do the tuning after dark, it makes it soooooo much easier to recognise the colours in the combustion chamber. Before Colourtuning, I had serious issues with emissions at MOT time, after it my emissions levels were so low it literally made my jaw drop.

Click Here for Youtube Video

My emissions before a Colourtune (it was a real struggle to get them *this* low):

Cooling fan cut in? Eh? I have a viscous fan, like all SJ's! It can't "cut in", it's always running! I was there when he did the test though, so I know the engine was up to temp. It failed, but he was nice enough to let me fiddle with the carb until it was running well enough to pass - which was really good of him, considering it's a Halfords!

Anyhew, after Colourtune:

Alternatively you can upgrade to EFI. The 1.6 swap is popular, you get far better power, better MPG's, and if you get the single point injected 8v, it's fairly simple (or so I'm told, I've never done the swap myself). I think even the injection 16v is fairly simple. MPFI is probably not, though. Probably.
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:49 am

Anton wrote:The standard Aisin carb is notorious for causing trouble. You can rebuild the Aisin carb, but most of us don't bother - we swap it out for an SU HIF44 carb. Although if I were doing it again, I'd pop a webber on - you can buy webber kits complete for the same kind of money as the SU and the modified manifold, and the webber gives you better power, and maybe even better MPG's. Maybe.
I wouldn't the webers are notorious for flooding and cutting out at steep angles while offroading.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

zook123
SCUK Addict
SCUK Addict

Post by zook123 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:57 am

ScottieJ wrote:
Anton wrote:The standard Aisin carb is notorious for causing trouble. You can rebuild the Aisin carb, but most of us don't bother - we swap it out for an SU HIF44 carb. Although if I were doing it again, I'd pop a webber on - you can buy webber kits complete for the same kind of money as the SU and the modified manifold, and the webber gives you better power, and maybe even better MPG's. Maybe.
I wouldn't the webers are notorious for flooding and cutting out at steep angles while offroading.
Is that why SU carbs are recommended for Offroading then?
2002 Jimny O2 Ragtop
Safari Snorkel, Freewheeling Hub Conversion
Diff Breathers, G/Box and T/Box Breathers, 2in Suspension Lift
HD Recovery Points and Winch Plate
Kuhmo KL71 MT / Goodyear Wrangler AT

Wessex 4X4 Reponse - WE411
wessex4x4response.org.uk

Larry
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Larry » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:13 pm

Anton,

Thanks for this, it's much appreciated.

I've been reading a lot the last few days and your thoughts reflect what I have learned so far. Having slept on it I think I am happy that I can fix the problem. One way or another. Generally the body work is good, not original but solid nonetheless. It is 29 years old after all.

The reality is that I've been looking for one of these for months. This is the first one I've seen for quite a while that's built exactly how I would want it and within a reasonable distance.

Going to speak to the guy this afternoon and hopefully agree a price. Will keep you posted!

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:31 pm

got any pics of it?
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Anton

Post by Anton » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:37 pm

ScottieJ wrote:got any pics of it?
What he said. ;)
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

Larry
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Larry » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:06 pm

Deal done, picking it up in the morning, all going according to plan...

Pictures then! :smokin:

Happy as a pig in shit! :rockin:

Larry
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Larry » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:51 am

Pictures as promised!

Took her out for spin yesterday and fitted my old winch too!