Suzuki Ignis Engine in a Sammi

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: Suzuki Ignis Engine in a Sammi

Post by ScottieJ » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:45 am

That sounds pretty nice that does, I can't wait for this conversion to actually start, its gonna be awesome.

Have you had any luck sourcing a gearbox yet?
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Ladaman » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:15 am

I've not had a look yet, but KAM Suzuki aren't too far from me so I'm sure they will be worth a visit.

BUT, if anyone on here has one going cheap I'd be interested. Jimny engine mounts might also be on the cards, at least as a starter for 10.

:lol:

For you guys interested in the swap, please don't expect it to be done in a weekend, or even two. I like to take my time, and hopefully do it right first time. (I'm sure it won't be though :hahaha: )
YouTube
Ignis Sport 1.5 16V; Jimny gearbox, 410 transfer box; 5.125:1 Vitara diffs; rear Lockright, Rob Storr full float rear axle, rear discs, YJ springs, virtual lift, 31" Grizzly Claws, beadlock rims, +50mm LR arches, LED rear lights, LED roof spots, bucket seats, Luke harnesses, internal cage

rgonzobull
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by rgonzobull » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:12 am

Prefer a long detailed thread. Really looking forward to reading your findings on this. Remember
measure twice, cut once, then weld a bit back on again! Lol
LJ80Q

Anton
I spend far too much time on here

Post by Anton » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:44 pm

*very* interested in how this swap goes!
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Ladaman » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:35 pm

Remember this bit of a project?

Well for one reason or another I never got around to removing my Sammi engine, potential snow coming, changing jobs, holidays etc...until now!!

So the old Sammi engine and box has now been removed this weekend. A Jimny box bolted on to the Ignis Sport engine, and all dropped into place. Well not quite, it's still hanging from the block & tackle and the gear box is supported by a jack.

I can't quite decide if I will get away with the engine positioned as it is, or if I will need to shorten the prop shaft from the engine to transfer box. It sort of looks okay, and I'd rather not have to shorten the shaft, but the engine does look a bit forward with not much room for the radiator. And just thinking about it now, if I move it further back the gear levers will clash!! Oh hum.

I might be having a re think and move the radiator into the back. Not a bad thing I suppose, just a bit more hassle.

It's also a real bummer that the deep part of the oil sump is at the front end of the Ignis engine, so a sump mod and oil pick up mod will be needed too.

Hopefully I will stick with it now and get it done. So watch this space.

I hope it will be worth it :lol:
YouTube
Ignis Sport 1.5 16V; Jimny gearbox, 410 transfer box; 5.125:1 Vitara diffs; rear Lockright, Rob Storr full float rear axle, rear discs, YJ springs, virtual lift, 31" Grizzly Claws, beadlock rims, +50mm LR arches, LED rear lights, LED roof spots, bucket seats, Luke harnesses, internal cage

Anton

Post by Anton » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:18 am

Pics! Would LOVE some pics!
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:46 am

Good to hear there's been some progress, I'm with him ^^^^^ Pics pics pics :poke:

Surely a Jimny sump and pick up will fit the engine? I would imagine that will be the shape that it needs to be to clear the axle?

As for the gear levers clashing if you push it back a bit further, it's nice and easy to bend the sj tbox lever so that it comes out further back, will mean a few transmission tunnel mods but that won't be hard.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Anton

Post by Anton » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:41 pm

Ladaman - I'd love to hear more about your engine mounts etc. I'm hoping (once I can find the money) to do this conversion myself, but ditching the EFI for an LPG only setup, for cheap running and simplicity.

A build diary would be awesome!

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Ladaman » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:35 pm

Well a little bit of progress has been made. It's going to be a bit of a pain but I'm sure it will be worth it.

I really need a Jimny 16V sump, and can't find one to suit the "M" series engine, unless one of you very wise people can advise differently.

I've even been to a fabrication shop tonight to see about having a custom one made!! Shocked That might have to be the way forward.

Anyway, I've got my engine and gear box mounts roughed out. I've made plates to suit the engine block, I'm planning on reusing the Sammi chassis mounts and plates. I bought two Audi suspension bushes to use for engine mounts and a smaller random one for the gear box.

I've machined some housings for the bushes to press into. The housings will be welded to the engine plates, then a pair of fingers from the chassis will bolt through the centre of the rubber bush, if you know what I mean? Maybe the pics will help.
Attachments
Mounts and housings
Mounts and housings
Mounts.JPG (1.95 MiB) Viewed 17262 times
This gives you an idea of my plan!
This gives you an idea of my plan!
Engine mount in place.JPG (2.06 MiB) Viewed 17262 times
Engine hanging in place
Engine hanging in place
Engine NS.JPG (1.81 MiB) Viewed 17262 times
YouTube

Anton

Post by Anton » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:45 pm