Suzuki Ignis Engine in a Sammi

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: Suzuki Ignis Engine in a Sammi

Post by ScottieJ » Thu May 23, 2013 11:15 pm

:lol: I was going to say are you sure you haven't missed any connections but thought, "nah he wouldn't' have done that" :tongue:

I know someone who's got 3 good matching tyres, think they'd look good on his SJ :thefinger:

All the speedo sensor mod is a trigger wheel pressed onto to the rear tcase output flange and then a sensor, it's what they do when fitting SJ tbox's to jimny's. I would imagine they would use the same sensors on the ignis gearbox? Rockwatt makes the trigger wheels I think?
I was thinking about doing it on mine and running the GV clocks.
image.jpg
image.jpg (149.61 KiB) Viewed 6225 times
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Ladaman » Thu May 23, 2013 11:32 pm

I know, what a COCK!

I had a "man" look. If it doesn't jump on on me, it isn't there kinda thing.

Sorted now though.

I will have a look through the manual Darrell has put me onto to see if I can find the speedo sensor. I might need to get the wife out to find it though :hahaha:
YouTube
Ignis Sport 1.5 16V; Jimny gearbox, 410 transfer box; 5.125:1 Vitara diffs; rear Lockright, Rob Storr full float rear axle, rear discs, YJ springs, virtual lift, 31" Grizzly Claws, beadlock rims, +50mm LR arches, LED rear lights, LED roof spots, bucket seats, Luke harnesses, internal cage

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Thu May 23, 2013 11:41 pm

I can't really say much as I've gotta go through the whole GV loom to find a few connectors that im going to need, immobilser, obd and the 3rd ecu connector etc. and I can imagine its going to take me a while as the loom has been removed 100% intact, luckily the engine loom is already seperate on the GV so that will make life easier, a bit :hahaha:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Ladaman » Fri May 24, 2013 12:04 am

When I took the engine out of the Ignis I kept the engine loom attached. I had the ECU and a fuse box on it too.
Yesterday we took the front half of the car loom out and just connected it up, well most of it. ;)
Now is the time to remove the unwanted stuff, and wire it in correctly, or a bit better at least.

If you need advice....... don't call me!! :hahaha:

I've looked through the manual and on page 833 out of 1210 it shows the speed sensor is on the gearbox, pointing to a toothed wheel at the side of the front wheel drive diff'. I think I still have the sensor, as I have the gearbox. So with a few sums I might be able to come up with a decent reading speedo taking into account, Jimny gearbox, SJ410 transfer box, Vitara 5.125:1 diffs & 31" dia tyres!!!

It's just a case of making a toothed wheel then. :lol:
YouTube
Ignis Sport 1.5 16V; Jimny gearbox, 410 transfer box; 5.125:1 Vitara diffs; rear Lockright, Rob Storr full float rear axle, rear discs, YJ springs, virtual lift, 31" Grizzly Claws, beadlock rims, +50mm LR arches, LED rear lights, LED roof spots, bucket seats, Luke harnesses, internal cage

Cyprus Geoff
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by Cyprus Geoff » Fri May 24, 2013 5:14 am

Congeatulations! I am so glad for you, after all that work... venturing where no man has gone before etc etc :rockin: :rockin:

Anton
I spend far too much time on here

Post by Anton » Fri May 24, 2013 11:11 pm

Congratulations! Awesome! One thing though - I think that loom is growing...
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Ladaman » Fri May 24, 2013 11:35 pm

Thanks to every one for the words of encouragement. Trust me it does help to keep you going when things aren't quite going to plan.

I've taken the gearbox out tonight. The operating arm seems to be in place and seated correctly, so a few measurements will be needed tomorrow to understand the problem I've got. I thought I'd best leave it until a clear head as it would seem I'm prone to simple errors when its late! :tosser:

I've recovered the Ignis gearbox too, to investigate an electric speedo :smokin:

Also saved the speedo/rev counter cowl. Now that will look 8-) if i can get it to fit.

Wiring loom is due for a trim this weekend too.

Lets keep at it :D
YouTube

Anton

Post by Anton » Sat May 25, 2013 11:23 pm

I'm impressed with your project mate, you're munching through the problems at a decent lick, and blazing a trail for those of us daft enough to follow you.

I nearly bought an Ignis Sport engine on ebay yesterday, but it would have to sit unloved for too long and I have too many parts cluttering up the place already!

Besides, I'm not convinced that ebay is the best place to buy an engine...
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Ladaman » Sun May 26, 2013 11:33 am

Anton wrote:I'm impressed with your project mate, you're munching through the problems at a decent lick, and blazing a trail for those of us daft enough to follow you.

I nearly bought an Ignis Sport engine on ebay yesterday, but it would have to sit unloved for too long and I have too many parts cluttering up the place already!

Besides, I'm not convinced that ebay is the best place to buy an engine...
BUY IT!! There has to be more than one of us daft enough to do this!! :hahaha:

You will need more than just the engine though.

When I've got this done I will try to do a summary of what's involved. I'm sure as time goes by more people will consider this. (might not be so daft as to do it though).

Fuel injection and electronic ignition is the future. I couldn't believe how sweet mine ran after almost 18 months of being sat around. but if i ever do have a problem :shock:
YouTube

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Ladaman » Sun May 26, 2013 12:13 pm

Right then, back on page 7 I mentioned a clutch problem, and that the operating arm was flopping about.
The good news is the problem is diagnosed, and a cunning plan in place.

When the gearbox was removed, all the operating mechanism was in place and correct.

The distance from the front of the bell housing to the release bearing was the same on the Ignis and Jimny box.

As I was releasing the clutch cover plate I noticed the fingers moving back away from the flywheel, suggesting the clutch was already in the released position :S

Giving it some thought, this suggested the mounting surface for the cover plate was too far towards the engine, so compressing the clutch. Checking the manuals I now have from the "King of diagrams" Darrell, and bingo, I was right. The Ignis flywheel is flat, the Jimny one has a step.

How big is the step? I scaled it off on my computer screen :hahaha: and got it to be about 3mm. Thinking this through though, about isn't good enough. A clutch friction plate isn't much thinner than new when worn out, so I need it to be accurate. No joy from the BigJimny boys, or on here http://forum.suzukiclubuk.co.uk/vi ... =12&t=7633 :cry: so I will have to drive about 40 miles round trip to measure one.

Better to be right than sorry.

So the solution is to make some packers to go behind where the bolts hold the cover plate to the flywheel, of the same thickness as the step. :rockin:
Hopefully this will work.
Attachments
Jimny Clutch
Jimny Clutch
Suzuki Jimny 99500_81A10_01E_2.pdf - Adobe Reader.jpg (38.9 KiB) Viewed 6176 times
Ignis Clutch
Ignis Clutch
Suzuki_Ignis_RM413 manual.pdf - Adobe Reader.jpg (32.71 KiB) Viewed 6176 times
YouTube